Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official 2014 400ex OT Thread

Thanks John! I actually got a new Spectre from Advanced Auto for $42. Had to trim alittle on the intake and used the Velocity's rubber tube to act as a spacer between the stock intake and carb. I ran some zipties around the frame and filter to help support it too.

Blodg: Me and my buddy on his 426 run close times. We are also within 1hp of each other. You wouldn't believe it if you saw his 400 though. We call it "Ratrod." But we're actually easily beating lightly modded 450s. The one LTR on the team has a hair over 60hp and we run his times sometimes if we get a good reaction time. And the guy with the 700 Raptor on the team gets 5.5-5.6 on sand.

- 2005 "The Sleeper" 400ex
    - 1984 CR125r Project

Raced 150ft at a local fair yesterday. Had a horrible time. Filter flew off one pass. Then next pass I brought it up 3 times with struts on and my whole intake fell off. Then it started bogging at WOT so I think I got water in it.

I'm gunna switch back to my Velocity Intake until I can make a bracket to support this big filter setup and get it on the dyno again to fine tune it.
    - 1984 CR125r Project

Quote Originally Posted by cheater13 View Post
    Raced 150ft at a local fair yesterday. Had a horrible time. Filter flew off one pass. Then next pass I brought it up 3 times with struts on and my whole intake fell off. Then it started bogging at WOT so I think I got water in it.

I'm gunna switch back to my Velocity Intake until I can make a bracket to support this big filter setup and get it on the dyno again to fine tune it.
    What if you used the airbox as a splash guard but keep the supports on it if you're using the factory intake.. (if I understand correctly what you're saying that is, lol)

Quote Originally Posted by chronicsmoke View Post
    What if you used the airbox as a splash guard but keep the supports on it if you're using the factory intake.. (if I understand correctly what you're saying that is, lol)
    Well that flimsy rubber can't hold the weight of that big filter. All we need to do is either build a bracket to support the weight of the filter or I was also considering finding some 2" pipe and making it go to 3-4" at the end like the stock intake tube does. The filter wants to pull the intake tube outta the carb. Front struts don't help it either when you're goin down the track.

Aluminum will hold better than rubber since that filter is so heavy. I also need to have a spacer to get further over the sub frame and then angle it down. My carb sits sideways to clear the gas tank. We had to heat the gas tank and push it in so it didn't hit the carb. But the intake caves in on the subframe if the filter isn't lifted high enough. I think just making a custom intake out of 2" pipe to 4" pipe will work better.

I'm putting my Velocity back on today and rejetting back to 185 from 190.
    - 1984 CR125r Project

I think chronic is saying cut the front part of the stock plastic airbox off where your rubber grommet goes through it and then still use the front "hook" mounts that go onto the frame to support it. Not using just the rubber intake itself.
    2002 Ford Ranger (Red, Westin Brush Guard, K&N CAI, Clearance Lights, couple other little things)
    2012 RAM Power Wagon (Black, Line X, Weathertech, Cover King, Flowmaster, Tinted, DiabloSport Trinity, Rertro Shop Custom Headlights, Leveled)
    2006 450R (MX/Dune/QFMX Machine)
    2005 407EX (XC, GNCC, Harescramble Machine, Not much left that's stock, PICS)

R.I.P. Caleb Moore, you will not be forgotten.
    R.I.P. Tyler Saxton, I'll never forget you bud.

Quote Originally Posted by Stickman400 View Post
    I think chronic is saying cut the front part of the stock plastic airbox off where your rubber grommet goes through it and then still use the front "hook" mounts that go onto the frame to support it. Not using just the rubber intake itself.
    Yah that was exactly my thinking,, I just didn't explain it very well lol

You could also use metal mesh screen to keep it tucked up under and no air flow restriction. That or just make a cradle it can sit in and be secured to and go from there.

My crf carb outlet seems to sit lower than normal ones. That's why I need something to come up over the subframe and then down. Might just find some aluminum tubing and go from there. I could always just make a bracket somehow to support the heavy filter.
    - 1984 CR125r Project

My friend has a similar filter on his banshee, he used a self taping screw with lock tight on the metal/plastic cap on the filter and made a L bracket that went to his seat latch/support area.

But I like chronics idea alot, you could trim all the sides of the stock airbox leaving the bottom and some meat on the mounting areas and it would be almost perfect.

My 440ex ran 5.5s on a true 300ft track, what times did you get for the 150ft? my hybrids running consistant between 3.65 and 3.9 on a true 200ft.
    400ex hybrid Finished!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMDIAw8UskQ

Got a new toy to mess around with and had a few questions that relate to aftermarket parts, So brand isn't a factor. Wouldn't be sitting there if it wasn't a screaming deal needing this and that. Anywho....

2001 Yamaha rapturd 660 with either a bore to 710-713cc, So we call her 7-11. Has works fronts with rezi's and a few other cool parts. Its a 01' so we all ran AC everywhere we could, Thus the reason why we favored it. Cool part, Its has a full DMC exhaust.
    It has the full flight a-arms on it with all heims, And they are all shot IMO. Id like to convert the outer spindle side to auto ball joint and not heims if I can. They are 3/4-16 outers and other than heims, I cant find any part #'s. Or is a better other brand of heims worth it? Thanks for any help

Picks of the yamahaha,
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast