Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Carburetor for 2006 DRX 90 air cooled

Carburetor for 2006 DRX 90 air cooled

Hi all, I have been looking all over, apologies if this has been answered (I'm sure it has) but I can't seem to find it.

I bought my son a 2006 air cooled 90 and it's looking like it's needing new filters and hoses and a carb kit as it appears to be leaking a bit. I can find filters and hoses, they are 1/4" correct? As for the carb kit, can't seem to find one anywhere, all DRR seems to have is a replacement carb, which leads me to my next question... I notice in my searching that some folks are using the Keihin PE 24 carbs, are these a straight swap or does anything else need to be done? And will these work with the automatic feeding of the oil, or would I need to start pre-mixing?

Thanks for your patience with the newbie questions, my son has really been enjoying this quad, just want to make sure I'm doing the right things!

Marty

Marty,
    I have an air cooled 90 engine that I picked up this past weekend and it has a 24 PWK carb. I don't think it's a Keihin but it works well. Jetting is 40 pilot and a 125 main. I didn't check what needle is in it but I have the clip worked best for me in the center position. As far as a straight swap...that I don't know as minet had a stage 6 intake that the carb fit into nicely. Not sure if it will fit into a stock intake but I don't see why not. Hope this helps as I'm new to the DRR world.

Thanks Joe! I ended up calling DRR, who referred me to Matt in Wisconsin, who funnily enough was getting ready to respond on this thread as well!

I was told that there really is no carb kit or anything that will help to fix these crappy little carbs, and that a replacement is the way to go. I will have to pre-mix, but that isn't the worse thing ever and Matt said the new carbs go in pretty easily. Waiting on a quote from him and I will update with my successes once complete!

I think you can get away with a 24 OKO with the stock intake. You can pick up a brand new carb for $40-$50. There are a MILLION places that sell parts for these engines. Some of the stuff on the 90cc is different but most of it is universal.

So I got the new carb in, it seems to idle just fine, but it will big down and die when in full throttle going up hills and will also die going down the same hill when having to do lots of braking. Not sure what I need to adjust to get rid of the bog....

see what size jets are in it and let us know.sounds like you're going to have to go up on both the pilot and main jets.also check where the mix screw is.

Thanks Chris, I will let you know when I get back up next weekend. I believe I got the 28mm Keihin carb from Matt, sent him a text and will hopefully talk with him tomorrow... A friend of mine also suggested looking at the position of the the throttle needle if that sounds right? He said that perhaps I need to move the needle down to lean the carb out a bit, anyone know if the needle for this carb has multiple settings available for it? The air/fuel mix screw is about 1.5 turns out at this point, performance did improve a bit, but my son still felt like he had less power going up hills and it stalled out quite a bit coming down. I had another friend suggest that I might need a hotter spark plug and ignition wiring kit if that makes any sense...

Sorry I don't have more info, my knowledge of carbs would fit into this post at the moment.

Thanks again for the help!

Just a small update and things for me to try when I get back to the quad next weekend. I talked with Matt and he recommended moving the needle down a position as it sounded to him like it was running a bit rich. He also suggested taking a look at the float height as well, it possibly needs to move down a bit.

I'll update next weekend, thanks for all your help!

So.... moved the needle down and it no longer stalls out, bonus! It's still having an issue being a bit short on power going up hills. Would that indicate possibly needing a smaller or larger jet size? We're at about 2600 feet if that makes a difference.

Thanks!

pull the plug and see what color it is but it sounds like you have to go up on the pilot.the pilot controls idle to around half throttle or so.when we raced our drr 90 it had the malossi big bore kit and we ran a 28mm koso that was jetted at 145/45.on our 06 predator 90 that's air cooled we have a koso intake with a 24mm carb but it almost feels too big.it probably needs rejetting but it runs good and I can't recall what the jetting is.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast