Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Where can I source an axle, sprocket, and brakes?

I just wanted to update you all. I wasn't able to source parts, so I had them machined.

Carriers.JPG Swingarm.jpg

Everything is coming together, but I am having a hard time finding pivoting bushing for the swing arm. Everything that I come across are either too short on too long. I found some for the Baja Storm 125, but their too long. Well, at least the inside collar looks to be too long.

Baja_Storm_001.jpg Baja_Storm_002.jpg

Is it supposed to be like that? Does the outside washer fit over the rest of the inside collar?

you did it wrong. the plastic foes in first, fromt he outside, then the metal goes inside of that from the outside, that is why the metal is longer to compensate for the lip of the plastic insert.

Thanks Oscar. That makes sense. I'm emmbarrassed and happy at the sometime. lol

Baja_Storm_003.jpg

Ok, something isn't right here. I did what you suggested and the metal collar is still sticks out pass the swing arm. Why would the plastic white collar be labeled outside and the metal inside?

mine did too, just not that long. before you go deciding to shave them down, see how far you have to push the metal sleeve in for it to clear and bolt to the bike. truth be-told, these Chinese bikes are not made with exact precision and you may find you have to have all of it to fit right, but test. you can then take a grinder and shave them down till it fits perfect. I also recommend you run then DRY. oil on this bushing traps dirt and sand and will ruin them asap. running it dry will make it last longer. I would also recommend taking measurements and seeing of the machine shop can make you some more plastic ones on the lathe from different materials. they wear out pretty quick when ran hard so this way you have spares.

btw, yes that is how they are assembled.

outside meaning outside collar and inside meaning inside collar. (one goes inside the other)

Thanks for the info. and suggestions Oscar. I really appreciate your help. I will see about having spare plastic collars made. I wasn't going to shave the metal collar down at all. I was thinking about running spacers between the two collars. Should be safe to do that right?

Quote Originally Posted by JRMN View Post
    Thanks for the info. and suggestions Oscar. I really appreciate your help. I will see about having spare plastic collars made. I wasn't going to shave the metal collar down at all. I was thinking about running spacers between the two collars. Should be safe to do that right?
    yea should be fine.

my idea was to make a custom rear swinger using raptor 250 rear parts. this way you on longer have to worry about the stock crappy rear axle bearings that last only about 3-5 races or practice sessions before they start to go. then it also gives you access to a ton of aftermarket parts.

just an idea. yes it is fun to tinker with these bikes, but remember if you push into a bigger higher level class this chassis will be out matched. the design is just not well layed out as it is too short and narrow to truly stay up with bikes in the 90-open classes (which is where we are running). this is why we have switched to a raptor 125 and this next season will be putting our hopped up 2-smoker engine into it and dropping the 4-stroke.
    just wanted to pass along some info and ideas.

now this frame does well in the 70 classes. just an fYI. you can drop the kx65 with the athena 72cc BB kit on it and run the 70cc class and do fine with good shocks.

To be honest, I didn't know the first thing about ATVs and or dirt bikes until about a year ago. So all the information and suggestions are much appreciated. I won't be doing any racing, just road and trail riding. I took the swing arm by a shop last week hoping to find another type of bushing and the guys there said my bushing aren't supposed to be as loose as they were. So looks like I will have to have some custom bushing machined. They actually recommended having them made out of bronze.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12