Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tie Rods

Tie Rods

So I made a dumb mistake while riding over the weekend and ended up crashing my '07 400. No major damage from what I can tell so far. Looks like two bent tie rods and maybe some bent bars. So I started doing some research and it seems everybody says get stock replacement tie rods, since they're designed to be the weak link and bend in a crash to save other more expensive stuff from getting messed up. The cheapest OEM replacements I can find are $30 a piece from Rocky Mountain. They have some after market chromoloy ones from Tusk that are $20 a piece. I'm hesitant to go with the chromoloy ones because it's stronger than the stock steel ones and I still want the tie rods to be the weak point in the front. Any advice?

I think I have a set of used stock ones on the shelf... I'd sell them for $30 shipped if I do.

What else would break if you had stronger tie rods because I know you're not going to break a spindle or a steering stem
    2006 450r 24v Kickstart
    Ars-fx Exit Lonestar Precision Hmf Baldwin Web cams Rekluse
    Hiper Fasst flexx Cycra Prm Quad Tech Houser Gt thunder
    Bling star IMS Fluidine Rad Bare performance Streamline Gbc

05 450r
    Hotcams Pro Armor Gt Thunder ArsFx Custom Axis Houser White Bros
    PRM Hiper Gbc Fasst Flexx IMS

Not necessarily break but just bend something else. I wouldn't want to bend an a-arm or a wheel. I'd rather all the energy transfer to the weakest point (tie rods) and bend those

I have broken a spindle already from hitting something.

Spindle arm will break no doubt, with less force than you think.

Tie rods are weakest link, replace with OEM or rockey mtn ones if you want. Look on ebay, bet you can find some used OEM ones for cheap.
    If it's stupid, and it works, it isn't stupid. - Murphy's Law
    2000 426EX,sold
    2004 450R WIP
    -Longtime A.A.D.S. (Accessory Acquisition Disorder Syndrome) sufferer.
    400EX Frequently Asked Questions, CHECK HERE FIRST!

Quote Originally Posted by CJM View Post
    Tie rods are weakest link, replace with OEM or rockey mtn ones if you want. Look on ebay, bet you can find some used OEM ones for cheap.
    So you don't think the Tusk ones will create any issues, even though they are made of chromoly? They're a pretty good deal. You get two brand new rods and four brand new ends, all assembled for $80

I would buy the aftermarket ones even though they are made from chromoly they are still probably the weakest link
    2006 450r 24v Kickstart
    Ars-fx Exit Lonestar Precision Hmf Baldwin Web cams Rekluse
    Hiper Fasst flexx Cycra Prm Quad Tech Houser Gt thunder
    Bling star IMS Fluidine Rad Bare performance Streamline Gbc

05 450r
    Hotcams Pro Armor Gt Thunder ArsFx Custom Axis Houser White Bros
    PRM Hiper Gbc Fasst Flexx IMS

Quote Originally Posted by LxMxL97 View Post
    I would buy the aftermarket ones even though they are made from chromoly they are still probably the weakest link
    i agree with this. I run the tusk ones from RMATVMC and they take some good abuse. I race XC and went through two sets of stock OEM tie rods before I finally decided to pull the trigger on these. I always thought tusk stuff was junk (which it is. I can show you my nerfs lol), but these have held up great so far.
    "Not all girls with tattoos are sluts, but every slut has a tattoo"

2005 400ex / HMF Performance Slip on/ Uni with no lid / trail tech clamps with tusk fat bars /Cyrca hand guards/ ODI ruffian lock ons / Kenda Kutter XC's /DWT Rock'n'Lock fronts with DWT G2 rears/ Tusk fat peg nerfs / Bling Star Iron Cross/Jet Stealth shock conversion 450r front shocks/ gregs atv rear shock with gtt xc link/ CCP steering stabilizer/GTT swing arm skid

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast