Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: will yamaha raptor rear wheel hubs fits 400ex?

Quote Originally Posted by KKiowaTJ View Post
    I have a question regarding a 400 and a raptor. A buddy needs new rear tires on the yami, I couldn't find any for him so I was going to sell him my wheel/tire combo rears. I thought they were all 4/110, Found out quick raptor is 4/115.

The problem is, My tires and wheels are new and we used a chit ton of bead seal on them so im kinda worried about un-mounting them for the yami wheels. I read you can drill out the 400 wheels with a 1/2" bit and maybe some filing and they will fit. Is this true? has anyone done it?

I don't want to ruin a set of wheels if it wont work, But I have read many opinions on it and they say it works. Anyone by chance do this and or try and fail?
    Somebody could set up a jig and drill them to 4/110.. A machinest with a garage full of Yamaha's offered that to me back in '02-'03 for my 400 when I mangled the holed my rims 30 miles from my house.

I didn't have him do it, and ended having to replace my hub and rim by the time I got back to my house, lol..

But it can be done, Not something I would do on my own as I don't have the steadiest of hands or the most precises measuring skills.. If you're not perfect in measuring and drilling you're going to have one hell of a wobble (like a bent axle)

i've got 2 sets of douglas rims that have holes for yammi and honda/zuke in them. 8 holes total makes for lighter rim right haha.

I don't think im going to chance it. The wheels are new 400 ones and if it don't work, Money pissed away. I think im just going to have them un mount mine and mount them up on the oem raptor wheel. That way it will go on flawless, Perfect fit etc and neither are out a set of new rear wheels.

I did it to a set of great condition Douglas beadlocks I got for dirt cheap. They were for a Yamaha and I drilled them for a Honda. My method was taking my rear hub off the Honda and then removing all 4 studs. I then precisely centered the hub in the wheel and in between the yamaha bolt pattern, marked them, used a punch for so the drill bit would not dance and then drilled them with a drill press. In my mind they turned out perfect if not almost perfect. If it is not perfect it is not enough to even tell when riding on the balcktop driveway, so tome that is pretty dang good. This was my test.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12