Thread: 400EX Won't Start

Hybrid View

400EX Won't Start

So I'm trying to help my brother in law out with his '05 400EX. It died while riding it and now won't start. I thought a spark plug would be a quick and cheap idea so I changed that and still nothing. The starter is spinning and the starter clutch is catching because I could see the piston moving while I had the spark plug out. I'm thinking it's something in the electrical system but I'm not great with electrical stuff. What should I check next? Any help is greatly appreciated.

I'm sure you've already checked but does it have gas? Lol but it sounds like electrical to me Check the fuse back by the battery
    2006 450r 24v Kickstart
    Ars-fx Exit Lonestar Precision Hmf Baldwin Web cams Rekluse
    Hiper Fasst flexx Cycra Prm Quad Tech Houser Gt thunder
    Bling star IMS Fluidine Rad Bare performance Streamline Gbc

05 450r
    Hotcams Pro Armor Gt Thunder ArsFx Custom Axis Houser White Bros
    PRM Hiper Gbc Fasst Flexx IMS

Sadly, it has gas. When he told me it wouldn't start, the first thing I checked was the gas.

check to see that the plug is sparking. put it in the wire and hold the "finger " on the header. thwn turn it over and watch for a spark at the tip. if it has spark check compression, incase you dont have a compression tester that will fit i reccomend harbor freight. they have a 3 piece compression tester with interchangeable sizes. they are 30-40$
    2003 400ex
    powermadd star series handguards w/wrap-powermadd gauntlets-elka stage 3 front shock-tusk nerfs- 11:1 piston-full fmf-gtt xc link-oury grips-909 bars-precision anti-vibe clamp-K&N filter-ccp steering stabalizer-oversized oil tank

Quote Originally Posted by Drifterboy3 View Post
    check to see that the plug is sparking. put it in the wire and hold the "finger " on the header. thwn turn it over and watch for a spark at the tip. if it has spark check compression, incase you dont have a compression tester that will fit i reccomend harbor freight. they have a 3 piece compression tester with interchangeable sizes. they are 30-40$

Yes...check if it has spark. If it does, put plug back in and throttle it a bunch like your trying to flood it while hitting the start button....now take out the plug, it should be wet with gas....if the plug is dry your not getting gas. You cab also shoot a little gas down the plug hole and if it has spark it will ignite and run a split second. Let us know if you have spark and gas.
    1984 Honda 200M ATC
    1985 Honda 200X ATC
    1986 Honda 200X ATC
    1999 Honda 406EX....11:1, Web Cam / Hardened rockers. Ported. WB CDI. CT Racing header. WB E-Series slip on. Lonestar swinger.
    2001 Honda/KTM 520 Hybrid Quad. Its like a 400EX but twice the horsepower.
    2014 Artic Cat Wildcat Trail XT

Will check it this afternoon when I get in from work. Good place to start. Thanks guys. I'll let you know what I figure out.