Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: rm 85 motor in a Raptor 125?

rm 85 motor in a Raptor 125?

Has anyone put an rm 85 motor in a Raptor 125 frame? I am in the process of doing it now ut wohld like to see some pics of engine placement if anyone else has done it successfully.
    Main reason we are gonna try the raptor frame over the cobra or jb frame is that my son races his 4 stroke raptor and loves the chassis and the size. He feels too big on the smaller frames.
    Anyone tried it?
    08 TRX 700XX
    06 TRX 400EX
    12 Raptor 125 (race)
    12 Raptor 125 (practice)
    04 TRX 90
    11 DRR 50
    01 Seadoo Challenger 2000

I think there was one for sale in the classifieds. Haven't seen any in person but shouldn't be real hard to do. Does the raptor motor bolt through the swingarm pivot point or in front of it.
    Adam McGee Racing 11 running 2 Pitster Pro's and a Xtreme custom flat tracker. Thanks Firepower Minis, Tbolt Usa, Atv Fourplay, Pitster Pro BRM Offroad graphics, Titain Motorworks , Motocross Vests Champions Choice
    Moto X Outcast 2012 90cc 3rd place
    Steve Nace Indoor Winter Nationals St and TT 2011-2012 and 2012-2013 2nd place.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdaddy77 View Post
    I think there was one for sale in the classifieds. Haven't seen any in person but shouldn't be real hard to do. Does the raptor motor bolt through the swingarm pivot point or in front of it.
    It bolts In front of it. Getting the motor to sit as far back as I want it is being a bit challenging. Where we have it right now has the drive sprocket further in front of the swinger pivot point than I want, but I think we are gonna try it like this anyway and see how it works. If I have to run a tensioner of some sort, so be it. The only other thing I was wondering is if there Is an easy way to e tend the kickstart out to get it to clear the frame of the quad?
    08 TRX 700XX
    06 TRX 400EX
    12 Raptor 125 (race)
    12 Raptor 125 (practice)
    04 TRX 90
    11 DRR 50

On our Mod which is a CR motor in a Pitster frame. It has a roller under the swing arm pivot point. No other type of tensioner. As far as extending your kick starter I cut the part that goes on the motor shaft off and welded it to a short piece of 3/4" od 4130 chromoly tubing and then welded the kick starter to the other end. Also I cut a slit in the tubing to allow it to tighten down on the shaft better..
    Adam McGee Racing 11 running 2 Pitster Pro's and a Xtreme custom flat tracker. Thanks Firepower Minis, Tbolt Usa, Atv Fourplay, Pitster Pro BRM Offroad graphics, Titain Motorworks , Motocross Vests Champions Choice
    Moto X Outcast 2012 90cc 3rd place
    Steve Nace Indoor Winter Nationals St and TT 2011-2012 and 2012-2013 2nd place.

we have done it, you can give me a call at the shop, 616-363-1215, and I will be glad to help you
    kids on quads racing

Quote Originally Posted by bigdaddy77 View Post
    On our Mod which is a CR motor in a Pitster frame. It has a roller under the swing arm pivot point. No other type of tensioner. As far as extending your kick starter I cut the part that goes on the motor shaft off and welded it to a short piece of 3/4" od 4130 chromoly tubing and then welded the kick starter to the other end. Also I cut a slit in the tubing to allow it to tighten down on the shaft better..
    Awesome. That was we were planning to do, but wanted to make sure there wasn't an easier way first.
    Quote Originally Posted by trompen542 View Post
    we have done it, you can give me a call at the shop, 616-363-1215, and I will be glad to help you
    kids on quads racing
    Thanks. I will probably be giving you a call.
    08 TRX 700XX
    06 TRX 400EX
    12 Raptor 125 (race)
    12 Raptor 125 (practice)
    04 TRX 90
    11 DRR 50

Here is how ours is for now. We didn't get to try it out on any jumps yet, as something went wrong in the motor while I was breaking it in on the first gallon of gas.
    Since the motor is further forward and lower than we wanted it to be, we added a roller where we wish the drive sprocket was, and a tensioner to keep the chain from going too slack when the suspension is unloaded. If it works, it's staying this way. lol if not, we will have to figure out some way to move the motor back.

08 TRX 700XX
    06 TRX 400EX
    12 Raptor 125 (race)
    12 Raptor 125 (practice)
    04 TRX 90
    11 DRR 50

it IS possible to cut out the swing arm and mount it through the motor. we used a yz 85 and it worked well.
    www.wesbolt.com
    www.atvriders.com
    RAGE ATV
    lonestarquadracing.com

Quote Originally Posted by jlhughes750 View Post
    it IS possible to cut out the swing arm and mount it through the motor. we used a yz 85 and it worked well.
    Did you just notch the center out of the swing arm and run the bolt through the motor mount on the motor?
    08 TRX 700XX
    06 TRX 400EX
    12 Raptor 125 (race)
    12 Raptor 125 (practice)
    04 TRX 90
    11 DRR 50

Quote Originally Posted by exhausted View Post
    Did you just notch the center out of the swing arm and run the bolt through the motor mount on the motor?
    I'm sure that's what you'd do. I'd check to see if the swingarm bolt is too big or to small to fit in the hole in the back of the RM 1st. Then carefully line up the sprockets and mark your swinger for the section to be cut out. Give yourself a lil extra clearance so you can shim it with a washer to the left or right.
    I'd think that the further back the engine is the better it'd handle.
    Is the Raptor without the engine pretty light? I remember the Raptor 250 we had was REAL heavy in the back to pickup.

Looking at your pictures and where the pipe is now, It looks like when you take the motor back to the swingarm bolt...the pipe should clear the frame..
    Wannabe Racer Dad of:
    #34 Logan Dusenberry
    2014 AMA/ATVA 450 2X National Champion
    ALL OUT RACING
    2015 CanAm JB/Mt. Dew Live Wire Amateur Race Team
    2014 Sponsors: Extreme-Tec ATV, Makson Incorporated, Corrosion Specialties, Rath Racing, Walsh Racecraft, SF Racing, Baldwin Motosports, Apex Powersports - New Philadelphia, Ohio, Action Extreme Sports - New Philadelphia, Ohio,

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast