Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Winter build TT bike in progress

Winter build TT bike in progress

Just wanted to start a build thread since i'm pretty much going through the entire machine.

Currently waiting on the head to come back from John over at venom performance and the carb from sredrum, went with a 42.5 bored fcr. Everything else is ready to go. Will be running the mods in my sig.

Also have a shortened stock swinger that is going to go on, i'll post pictures when i get it on the quad. G force axle is ready to be put on as well, I will update as I move foward.

perty je 13:1 with rings on and ready to go

42.5 mm bored for

one of my header studs snapped in the head so we had to drill it out and it got a little messy. The new stud will thread in but it's a little loose until the last couple turns when it finally tightens. I'm going to use some epoxy or jb weld when I install the stud and make it permanent. This head is currently at venom performance getting ported so once it comes back i'm gonna get that stud in there.

Anybody have recommendations on the best way to make this stud permanent? I thought about helicoil but since i really don't need the stud to ever come out again would it be better to weld it?

take it to a machine shop and get it repaired correctly. even with it being epoxied in it could pull out. not worth blowing the engine apart to save a couple dollars. consider the pressures within that combustion chamber that needs converted to mechanical energy. the force needs transferred to the crank then through the tranny. you dont want any of that force being exerted on a head stud that isnt reliable. any weak link in these built 450s will cost alot of money.

john
    If you can't modify it why have it???

i would buy or make a thread insert, that's probably what a machine shop would do unless you had them weld it up and re-machine it, which (speaking from experience) is a pain getting everything in its original place after being welded up. i wouldn't jb weld it though, but that's just me.
    i replace all my gas petals with on/off switches

I personally would have sent the head with the broken stud still intact to venom and spent the money at that point to have it fixed then....but seeing its too late for doing it that way,

I would have sent another head to get ported and get that one fixed as a spare,
    but now that it also too late for that option,...

HOPEFULLY this was a lesson you wont forget..doing it right the first time is always cheaper

were it stands now ...
    I would find a machine shop to fix it!
    the exhaust manifold flange has some room for tolerance send a NEW flange and studs with head to a local machine shop and have it done right

your already invested in the head spend an extra 100 bucks for it to be right and not worry about it pulling out and going lean at WOT and blowing your piston through the head

John wouldn't pull the broken stud for me so I had to have it done. This is 1 of 2 heads so i have one that I'm using as backup . I want to run this head during the season though. I'm thinking it needs a welded and re drilled as the best fix but womdered what you guys thought about epoxy. Sounds like it will not be permanent enough.

13:1 JE piston installed, cylinder on.

Quote Originally Posted by 2001400exrida View Post
    13:1 JE piston installed, cylinder on.

That cylinder deck should have been cleaned pre-assembly. Now when the rest of the deck is cleaned you are going to have debris down in your cylinder. Its the little stuff that gets down on top of the rings that you cant get with a shoprag that will wreak havoc on an engine. Unless you were planning on leaving the debris of the old head gasket on the deck....which is also risky
    2009 CRF450 Full TI yosh and Remapped

2001 CR250 Single track bike

You can't feel that black stuff its almost burnt on there or something. I got the thicker gasket stuff off but this is just visible not really somrhing I can feel or scratch off

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast