Thread: 2000 DS650 wont start

2000 DS650 wont start

Hey guys I need help with my quad. I went to buy a 2000 DS650 from a guy that needed a clutch. He fired it right up with no problems and let it run for a couple minutes. It sounded great. We loaded it up in my truck and drove home. After we got it out of the truck, we tried to start it up and nothing. We kept trying and flooded it. Took the spark plugs out, dried them off and let it sit for a while. Tried to start it again and nothing. I got new spark plugs and have great spark and still no start. I checked the timing and everything lines up at tdc. Tried a new cdi box and still nothing. It will turn over great but no start. It has compression, spark, and fuel. I don't know what else to look for. Maybe valve adjustment? I just don't understand how the guy could start it right up and then nothing when I get home. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

actually I checked the compression with a gauge in the plug hole and got 30psi on cranking. I know these have a centrifugal decompressor, but I don't believe it should be that low? Would I be looking at valves/piston/rings next? I just don't understand how this could have gone wrong by the time i got home?..thanks!

Im looking at getting rid of my 2008 kfx450r and a guy got in touch with me wanting it, he has a 2005 trx450r with stage 3 hot cam and getting a brand new top end as I type this put in by a shop.
    Get free demos for vce exam exam and College of the Holy Cross exam with 100% guaranteed success. Our best quality COMPTIA prepares you well before appearing in the final exams of University of Pennsylvania Good Luck.

Im looking at getting rid of my 2008 kfx450r and a guy got in touch with me wanting it, he has a 2005 trx450r with stage 3 hot cam and getting a brand new top end as I type this put in by a shop.
    asad

Quote Originally Posted by tlaug01 View Post
    Hey guys I need help with my quad. I went to buy a 2000 DS650 from a guy that needed a clutch. He fired it right up with no problems and let it run for a couple minutes. It sounded great. We loaded it up in my truck and drove home. After we got it out of the truck, we tried to start it up and nothing. We kept trying and flooded it. Took the spark plugs out, dried them off and let it sit for a while. Tried to start it again and nothing. I got new spark plugs and have great spark and still no start. I checked the timing and everything lines up at tdc. Tried a new cdi box and still nothing. It will turn over great but no start. It has compression, spark, and fuel. I don't know what else to look for. Maybe valve adjustment? I just don't understand how the guy could start it right up and then nothing when I get home. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

Were you able to get it started? 2 years is a long time to wait.

TPR