Thread: LTV not starting (petcock?)

LTV not starting (petcock?)

Okay. I posted on this site about a month ago and got a fantastice reply from LT80 himself. When I went to log back in to give an update, my post was deleted as well as my account...?

Here is my issue, the replay I received for LT80 (paraphrased) and the update since then.

I have an LT80 that was running fine. I installed a brand new carburetor. Then one day it would not start. When I shot some starting fluid into it, it would fire and I could keep it running with short bursts of starting fluid. Depending on what position I had the petcock it would either dribble or drain, but never turned completely off.

LT80 replied that I should buy a new banshee petcock and install a shut off valve and filter, and clean the carburetor. I completed all these items, and the atv still will not start. I did the starter fluid thing again and it will start. Then I took my wife's turkey baster (please dont tell her) and sucked some gas from the fuel take and squirted it into the carb, and again it would start and run for a few seconds, then die...

Any other ideas?

Sounds like its not getting fuel. I would check float height.

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiysr View Post
    Sounds like its not getting fuel. I would check float height.
    It is a brand new carb that I put on. It ran like a champ before it decided not to start. When it wouldn't start I took the carb apart and was amazed at how dirty it had gotten in such a short amount of time (ran for less than 3 hours). I will google how to check the float height and report back.

I am getting really good at taking the carb off this thing... Grrr.

Its a good idea to check the float height even if its a new carb. I've had to set the height on a new carb on a couple different times. Your tank may have had some junk in it. Hence the dirty carb. A fuel filter is cheap insurance.

Best of luck to you. I just pick up an LT80 for my daughter too. Poor thing has taken a beating and has not had any kind of maintenance done to it. Needless to say, I have a lot of work ahead of me and alot of parts to hunt down and order.

I had an issue with starting a 2006 kfx 80. Turned out the petcock fuel pump diaphram start leaking and was able to get fuel inot the vacuum line and was causing the machine to flood when tryiung to start it. I bypassed that and now leave it on prime and have an inline on/off switch until I purchase a Yamaha TW200 petcock that has on/off/reserve. Heard this is a better plug and play due the outlet and the size fuel line required.

It runs excellent now and start really easy.