Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: i build, customize and race these quads

i build, customize and race these quads

My 10yr old son has been racing trhese types of quads for 3 years now. We have some prototypes and modified units based on this model which we race. we run 125cc 4-strokes that are bastage engines from different models being made to fit for our needs for each specific track type. Some are for top end and some are for hilly terrain. (we do MX and CX both.) I will get some photos and details of what we have and do for you guys.
    The good is i love modifying these things and making them purr and my son loves tearing them up on the tracks(lol)
    The bad is he costs me $$ we go through 3-4 race engines a year, and at an average of $900-$1200 in parts and machining that's not cheap! but racing is really not for the faint of heart. we compete against DRR/Apex and Cobra ATVs. truth be told. 90% of it is rider ability at his age and classes.

No pics or vids?
    If it'll run... I'm ridin'!!!

http://home.earthlink.net/~hotscott03/

Sons:
    Jhamir "JAM" Scott #320
    KX85

Sponsors:
    Firepower Minis Motors
    Pirelli
    Artistic Apparel
    Smith Optics
    Athena
    DeCal Works
    PitPosse
    AGV Helmets
    Signs A Rama (Lakeland)
    ASV Inventions
    Dirtyfoot Adventures
    O'Neal USA
    TwinAir
    OneNation Extreme
    R1R Performance
    C4 Suspension

sorry been busy. i have a ton on my phone. let me try to upload some

untouched virgin being torn apart to the frame in prep for mod. literally from crate to pieces w/o ever being fired up or sat on.

newaxle.JPG
    new-frame.jpg
    new-raped.jpg

these are some of the modifications I do to the frame.s because of how much abuse they see i have to re-enforce a lot of the structure and wend it as 1 piece so it does not loosen up on the track. Motocross is very hard on a frame.

frame1.jpg
    frame2.jpg
    frame3.jpg
    moded-1.jpg
    moded-2.jpg

I will upload more later when I get home.
    here is one of the finished bikes.

PnH.jpg

Those gussets underneath the front of the frame aren't needed. Neither is the one on the frame where the thick tubbing is that's underneath the gas tank. Those are the strongest parts of the frame. I couldn't tell very well but looks like you didn't gusset the rear lower section of the frame behind the footpegs. Right toward the rear of the lower part of the frame. That's where all the issues occur. Good job tho!

Sons:
    Jhamir "JAM" Scott #320
    KX85

Sponsors:
    Firepower Minis Motors
    Pirelli
    Artistic Apparel
    Smith Optics
    Athena
    DeCal Works
    PitPosse
    AGV Helmets
    Signs A Rama (Lakeland)
    ASV Inventions
    Dirtyfoot Adventures
    O'Neal USA
    TwinAir
    OneNation Extreme
    R1R Performance
    C4 Suspension

i actually welded everything up the cutout and the support for it are welded up along with the rear connector to the frame are all welded together to make it a 1 piece frame. is strong enough now that i can stand on the atv and ride it and jump it and not hurt it at all. (just have to put on the stuffer shocks when i do that)
    I also made my engine mounts, i redid my son's to match my daughter's new mounts. it moves the engine 1.5" forward so i can now remove the engine w/o having the bolt hit the swing-arm. Stock the rear engine mount hits the swing arm when trying to remove. I wanted to be able to swap engines at the track side with minimal delays. so everything on the engine mounting was designed around that. the oil cooler has also been relocated to in front of the steering stem i wended a small bracket to the cross bar where the front brake "T" is and that is where i bolt the cooler too. then just run longer lines. this not only allows for better cooling but also the line length helps to cool the oil as well. I am working on getting a nice tube bender to replace the ribber lines with ridged ones that stop near the engine then have flex lines with AN fittings to remove from the engine for fast swaps. i also am upgrading the coolers from the stockers to newer larger capacity ones that flow better.The oil pump and passages have been upgraded so flow is not an issue.

got any photos of your stuff Rob? I was curious as to what changes you made. i am also working on trying to source a nice set of front shocks. i am redoing the rear shock mounts to run a fox stringed podium X shock on the rear. but wanted something better for the front. i would love to find a good set that is used at a good deal.

pops-jump.jpg
    p-piston.jpg

here is a shot of an engine that detonated and blew the HG apart. it was a combo of over-reeving by my son and not having high enough octane fuels as well as having crappy stocker studs. I have since sourced out a nice good quality 6mmx200mm stud sets that I use now. no more problems like seen below.

p=blownHG.jpg

Looks good oscarmayer, Rob and I went down The Ole Typhoon Road together a few years ago, You wont find many out there any sweeter than Jam's orange bike. Look back through these old threads, there was a post somewhere about how to make a removable motor mount, wich would have made getting those dayum little things in and out, a WHOLE lot easier. I have a post here of some parts i have left, if your looking for some stock things, would love to get rid of them all.

Yeah with the help of Denny (leager-n-ky), Chassis Inc. Fab, and Firepower minis we had the baddest Typhoon man has ever seen lol. Kinda hate I sold it. That thing was a work of art.

Sons:
    Jhamir "JAM" Scott #320
    KX85

Sponsors:
    Firepower Minis Motors
    Pirelli
    Artistic Apparel
    Smith Optics
    Athena
    DeCal Works