Thread: HD studs

HD studs

I pulled 2 studs in a few months ago and did a little research and found the gt thunder studs were the best thing for the situation I was in. Last night started putting the top end back together, while I was putting the head on I squished one of the dowels. There is no salvaging it, should I order a new one or because the stud diameter islarger than stock would it be OK to run without it? Thanks
    2000 400ex 440 big bore 12.5-1 wisco piston stage 2 hot cam complete wisco forged bottom end 110 octane VP race fuel 39mm fcr flat slide carb aluminum battery relocation open lid air box +2 lone star extended swing arm +2 lone star extended axle +2 houser a arms fly racing handlebars gripper seat cover HID lights

I'd err on the safe side and get a new one. You only have 2 of those dowels that locate your head and if you only have 1 in there it won't center properly when you tighten the bolts and it'll leak, among other things.
    2002 Ford Ranger (Red, Westin Brush Guard, K&N CAI, Clearance Lights, couple other little things)
    2012 RAM Power Wagon (Black, Line X, Weathertech, Cover King, Flowmaster, Tinted, DiabloSport Trinity, Rertro Shop Custom Headlights, Leveled)
    2006 450R (MX/Dune/QFMX Machine)
    2005 407EX (XC, GNCC, Harescramble Machine, Not much left that's stock, PICS)

R.I.P. Caleb Moore, you will not be forgotten.
    R.I.P. Tyler Saxton, I'll never forget you bud.

Not to jack the thread but will i need hd studs for an 11:1 416 build?
    XC 08 450r

You don't NEED them, but they won't hurt if you plan on boring bigger later on or bumping the compression. I don't have them in mine and I haven't had any issues yet. I have them sitting on my bench though if they do decide to let go.
    2002 Ford Ranger (Red, Westin Brush Guard, K&N CAI, Clearance Lights, couple other little things)
    2012 RAM Power Wagon (Black, Line X, Weathertech, Cover King, Flowmaster, Tinted, DiabloSport Trinity, Rertro Shop Custom Headlights, Leveled)
    2006 450R (MX/Dune/QFMX Machine)
    2005 407EX (XC, GNCC, Harescramble Machine, Not much left that's stock, PICS)

R.I.P. Caleb Moore, you will not be forgotten.
    R.I.P. Tyler Saxton, I'll never forget you bud.

I have stock bore, but a lot of other work done and this is the 2nd time I snapped atleast 1 headstud. Last time I snapped two and redid it with stock studs.

My next thing on my list is to ship the head out and get them installed. But I'm still running mine with the one snapped and it isn't leaking yet.
    - 2005 "The Sleeper" 400ex
    - 1984 CR125r Project