Thread: Building motor, Need help!!!

Hybrid View

Building motor, Need help!!!

I finally have some money to build my motor with and now i just need to find out what I should get so I'm turning to you guys. I need the power to come on hard on the mid to top end because I race TT. Alky suggested 12:1 je piston, web cam 463/9i cam, hard faced rockers and stiffer springs but i'm not sure I can afford rockers unless any of you know where I can get some hard faced for like 170 or less. Also I could go with a drop in cam and if I do this I need some suggestions on which are the best in the mid to top area. I really need the help, thanx guys!!!
    2004 Trx450r

Burgard beadlocks front and rear
    Kenda Klaws
    HMF
    DG alloy nerfs

Suspension is coming soon!

i think my 426 has a large increase over the power spread based on a stock motored 400ex

im using a stage 2 hotcam..it is a drop in...i dont reccomend it because it took me three cams and the third one had to be put on a lathe to make it right...but now that its right...it does feel very strong........im not saying everyones luck is like mine...you may get a good hotcam off the bat...but I didnt...

Id def use a je or ross piston to your liking....

You dont need the valve springs or the hardened rockers!! just get an aggressive drop in cam like the TC or Sparks cam,,,or even the web cam!
    Speed is 95% rider and 5% bike, better make that 5% count!

2000 TC 505EX Complete TC Motor and everything else you can imagine and more!!

ChadEXer-ARE YOU SURE THAT YOU CAN RUN STOCK ROCKERS WITH A WEB CAM? I JUST BOUGHT ONE AND IT SAYS THEY RECOMMEND USING HARDENED ROCKERS.....IF I CAN USE STOCK ROCKERS, THANKS, YOU JUST SAVED ME SOME CASH.
    2000 400ex-k&n-pro circuit t4 slip on-denton stabilzer-arens nerfs-stage 2 hotcam-wiseco 11.1 std. bore- ricochet bullet skid plate- lots of high performance stickers- dmp seat cover- bent stock handlebars- sponge bob on my grab bar for good luck-

try profabatv.com for the rockers..got mine for $130

Originally posted by TIGER72
    ChadEXer-ARE YOU SURE THAT YOU CAN RUN STOCK ROCKERS WITH A WEB CAM? I JUST BOUGHT ONE AND IT SAYS THEY RECOMMEND USING HARDENED ROCKERS.....IF I CAN USE STOCK ROCKERS, THANKS, YOU JUST SAVED ME SOME CASH.
    Go ahead, spend some cash and get the hard rockers. I put a WebCam in mine last April and as of last week had to put in a new one and hard rockers. It's your choice though. I think 2 cams and rockers are a hel!ava lot more expensive than just 1 cam and 1 set of rockers. Learn from others mistakes! That's what this web sites all about!! Got mine from Magic Racing = $149 cam - $249 rockers.
    2007 Raptor 700- stock

2008 Polaris RZR - Everything you can think of!

Well I guess Im not real sure about the Web cam, I thought they were drop in cams. From talking to engine builders I just believe that an aggressive drop in cam is plenty and hardened rockers arent needed, but if your cam says you should then it would probably be a good idea!!
    Speed is 95% rider and 5% bike, better make that 5% count!

2000 TC 505EX Complete TC Motor and everything else you can imagine and more!!

If you get the hotcams you wont need to harden your rockers or buy springs
    06 YFZ, Alba exhaust, K&N, nerfs, trailtech x-bars, trailtech torch lights, trailtech HID lights, ac full body skid plate, one industries graphics, TCS front shocks, TCS rear shock rebuild, Alba +2 a-arms, alba bumper, AC cooler rack. ITP C9 wheels, sandskate 1 paddles, GBC dune runner fronts, Precision stabilizer, Alba porting, cam mod

A few thoughts....

I haven't felt the need to dig into my EX engine yet, but I have beefed up my roadrace bikes' engines before. Here are some tips I have learned.

-HARD FACED ROCKERS: You should be able to find a plating shop that does hard chrome in your area. That would be cheaper than buying a completely new set.

-NEW SPRINGS: You shouldn't need new ones unless you spend, or plan to spend, a lot of time at redline or close. If you have started to feel a loss of power in the very top of the powerband and suspect valve float you should invest in some new boingers. And, if you are going to get a crazy cam, might as well get titanium retainers too. With a radical cam there will be a lot more action going on in that head, better safe than sorry.

-PISTON/CAM COMBO: Just remember that more duration on the cam requires more compression on the piston!

Happy engine building!

-Josh