Thread: 400ex locked up? bent valve? need advice

400ex locked up? bent valve? need advice

Hi guys I'm new here, got a 400ex that I was riding easy when it quit. Previous owner said its big bore, hotcam. I pulled off the valve cover and left side cover to find that (in neutral) I put a wrench on the crank bolt and the crank will turn about one and a half turns in either direction, but the valves/valve springs aren't moving at all. The intake valves are tall/open and the exhaust valves are down/closed. Just looking for some ideas so I know if I want to tear into it or take it to a shop. Thanks for the help guys

It's got to come out and apart. Doing it yourself will obviously be cheaper, but you have to know what you're doing.
    04 416ex
    "Bonda" DS800ex
    03 DS730
    06 Outlander 800XT
    09 Teryx
    TRX650R Hybrid
    Originally posted by baroni104
    that aint a quad, thats just some pos any1 can throw a crotch rocket motor on a frame....

Quote Originally Posted by tayyo789 View Post
    It's got to come out and apart. Doing it yourself will obviously be cheaper, but you have to know what you're doing.
    i have a couple of motors im parting out and also have complete bottom ends in great shape. let me know if you need any parts. best prices around!