Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Elkas or Works?

It depends on how patient you are. There's bound to be a great deal to pop up somewhere within your budget. As far as pure bang for your buck, you can find some used 450r fronts all day long, and get them rebuilt. You'll be left with an adjustable multi-rate shock set up just for you. It's like having stage 2's except you'd spend about half of your budget, leaving you with extra fuel money, or start the fund for a rear shock to match.
    However determination and patience usually pay off when shopping like this. I've got a ds650 I got for 3g's that came with almost that much $ in suspension alone on it, because the guy was desperate to sell. The right deal is out there, you just have to sniff it out. In the end it's your money, and your decision. Most of the brands aren't really very different so it's about figuring out what you want. Regardless of what you end up with, it will be a good investment simply because you ditched the pogo sticks
    04 416ex
    "Bonda" DS800ex
    03 DS730
    06 Outlander 800XT
    09 Teryx
    TRX650R Hybrid
    Originally posted by baroni104
    that aint a quad, thats just some pos any1 can throw a crotch rocket motor on a frame....

Quote Originally Posted by Zhutch7 View Post
    So I planned to get those Works Pro Series, but I know suspension is one of the most important aspects on a person's ride and I want to know what's the best I can do with $650 for front suspension? All opinions will be appreciated.
    i personally, honestly believe that for the "best bang for your buck", for $650, is to buy a used set of 450r fronts, and then send them to gt thunder or greg's atv, and work with a shock builder like Lazarus Sommers at Gt or Greg McNemar at Greg's, and have them built for you.

i know, i was skeptical. i didnt want to think that it was possible to take stock shocks and make them perform just as well as a custom axis, or high dollar elka, but you can. and even if you do get those types of shocks, and they say they're set up for your weight range or riding style, they're still a cookie cutter shock that needs to be sent off and have rebuilt for your.

i know this is more of an MX based forum, but if you go to any XC, espeically the bigger races like the GNCC's, AWRCS's, or an MAXC race, you'll see lots of guys in every class using stock rebuilds. there are even pro and pro-am guys using them. Donnie Ockerman runs stock rebuilds and Brycen Neal did pretty good last year on them.

Just food for thought
    "Not all girls with tattoos are sluts, but every slut has a tattoo"

2005 400ex / HMF Performance Slip on/ Uni with no lid / trail tech clamps with tusk fat bars /Cyrca hand guards/ ODI ruffian lock ons / Kenda Kutter XC's /DWT Rock'n'Lock fronts with DWT G2 rears/ Tusk fat peg nerfs / Bling Star Iron Cross/Jet Stealth shock conversion 450r front shocks/ gregs atv rear shock with gtt xc link/ CCP steering stabilizer/GTT swing arm skid

You guys seemed pretty set on the stock rebuild option. How can it be that stock 450R shocks that get re-valved can perform just as well as the top aftermarket brands? It seems impossible to me, but I know little to nothing about suspension set ups.
    2000 Honda TRX400EX - White Brothers E-Series exhaust full system, Pro Taper Contour handlebars, Maier 250R hood, ITP Holeshot HDs, Full skid plates, Uni air filter in CFM aluminum air box, CFM oil tank, Oury grips, E-Sticky graphics kit, Pro Armor XC nerf bars, Houser Slicast +2 a-arms, Tusk braided brake lines, Tusk gas cap, Tusk sintered brake pads, Pro Design case saver, DID X-Ring gold chain, AC Racing Blackline front bumper, Streamlime Billetanium 11 way stabilizer, 450R front shocks.

You guys seemed pretty set on the stock rebuild option. How can it be that stock 450R shocks that get re-valved can perform just as well as the top aftermarket brands? It seems impossible to me, but I know little to nothing about suspension set ups.
    the stock shocks that are used on the 450's are essentially the same thing as an elka, or axis, or pep, or exit, they just have a few differences that make them cheaper.
    1. materials (magnesium instead of aluminum/stainelss)
    2. generic spring and valve stack set ups that are meant to cover a whole range of riders, riding styles, and riding weights.
    3. they dont have the broad range of adjustment that a top of the line after market will. (but they do offer compression and rebound adjust, where a lot of shocks dont offer external rebound adjustment)

they're just that, just a generic set up. But so are the high end shocks too, especially ones bought off ebay. sure, they're made from better materials, have a broader range of adjustments, and have less fade because they have larger resivoirs, but they are also a cookie cutter shock as well. they still have a generic set up in them. so even if you buy these, unless your just fine with what you get, your gonna have still send them off. they will perform, just not as good as they should. the aftermarkets have a greater ceiling once set up correctly.

if you buy stocks, and send them off to a place like GTT or greg's, they change a lot.
    1. they modify the shock shaft length so that it correctly matches the required length, depending on what a-arm set up (stock included) you use, so that you can get the correct ride height with increased wheel travel from the shocks.
    2. they will change your springs from a single rate, generic spring, to a duel rate set up. They will use different spring combinations, with the correct crossover, in order so that you get teh correct preload and ride height for your desired application.
    3. they change the shock valving. the stock shocks use very generic, low flow valving. when you work with the shock builder, they will change the valves and shims out with high flow valving that they match depending on your weight, riding ability, and riding style.
    4. they then will use better shock fluids that have longer life before the fluid starts to break down and you loose performance. they'll then dyno that shock and make sure that it works perfectly to that application.

it honestly is a night and days difference! sure we would all love to be able to buy the top of the line axis or elkas or exits, but sometimes money just wont allow that. this is totally a suitable alternative. I was very surprised once i got my shocks back. i had my fronts done by nick adams @ jet suspension, and i had my rear done by Greg McNemar @ greg's atv. Both guys were awesome to work with. they asked all sorts of questions about how i had my bike set up, how i rode, my fitness level, ability level. they answered any questions that i had and once i got mine back, they perform fantastic. i can honestly fly over anything now. its so much smoother, way better handling, and it honestly increased my traction. i just feel like the quad is sucked to the ground now.

like i said before. im not trying to tell you what to do or sway you away from what you think is best for you. im just trying to give you some more options to choose from and to also give you some insite.

2005 400ex / HMF Performance Slip on/ Uni with no lid / trail tech clamps with tusk fat bars /Cyrca hand guards/ ODI ruffian lock ons / Kenda Kutter XC's /DWT Rock'n'Lock fronts with DWT G2 rears/ Tusk fat peg nerfs / Bling Star Iron Cross/Jet Stealth shock conversion 450r front shocks/ gregs atv rear shock with gtt xc link/ CCP steering stabilizer/GTT swing arm skid

unless you get aftermarket shocks that are 100% setup for you and your setup they won't work as good as the stock showa shocks with bigger pistons, 2-3 springs rather than 1 and shortened to fit the EX..
    I just picked up some triple rate TCS front shocks for the front of my EX for less than $300(thanks again BGUNS) and yes they work good, but if I had them sent back to be rebuilt for me to work 100% up to their capabilities it would be another 2-300 but at that point they are totally setup and perfect for ME.

Get some 450r fronts for 150-200 and have them built into the shocks like ben has. The stock showa shocks have compression/preload/rebound adjustabilities where the TCS shocks I got don't have rebound. Compare the TCS against the 450r fronts (both rebuilt to the same specs) and the 450r fronts WILL be better. Sure PEP/Motowoz/Axis/Stadium/Fox ect may work better after you get them valved for you, but you're going to spend at least 4-600 initially for the shocks.

If i were you I'd save money and go the revalved route. Or find some that are setup similar to you and your setup.

Wow, a lot of great information there. I appreciate it fellas. I decided against spending $600+ on those Works. I felt a little skeptical about them even though they were the Pro Series. They were set up for me, but the owner bought them off of someone and he couldnt remember the service date. I didn't know how long ago they were serviced so I decided to go a different route. Most likely, the way you all are talking.
    2000 Honda TRX400EX - White Brothers E-Series exhaust full system, Pro Taper Contour handlebars, Maier 250R hood, ITP Holeshot HDs, Full skid plates, Uni air filter in CFM aluminum air box, CFM oil tank, Oury grips, E-Sticky graphics kit, Pro Armor XC nerf bars, Houser Slicast +2 a-arms, Tusk braided brake lines, Tusk gas cap, Tusk sintered brake pads, Pro Design case saver, DID X-Ring gold chain, AC Racing Blackline front bumper, Streamlime Billetanium 11 way stabilizer, 450R front shocks.

I would also look into HLS shocks. They are made by GT Thunder and work very well. The essential shocks are $500 brand new, setup for your weight, riding style, and machine specs. They are not adjustable, but that is not always bad since the shock is setup for you. Like others have mentioned, if you buy used they probably aren't setup correctly for you, and this will compromise the performance. The new Elkas and Works also aren't really setup for you, and their valving is inferior to the HLS or even stock 450R shocks. I also agree with the recommendations to get used 450R front shocks and have them setup for you. Like mentioned, they are a great shock when rebuilt and setup for you.

For A-arms, I love Houser. They are very well made, and their regular travel arms give as much wheel travel as other LT setups and provide good leverage ratios. The slicast adjustment is also much easier to setup and change to suit your riding.

EDIT:
    I would also recommend a GT Thunder linkage and rear shock rebuild. You won't believe how well your 400 handles after getting the suspension setup for you!
    08 450R

Quote Originally Posted by dustin_j View Post
    I would also look into HLS shocks. They are made by GT Thunder and work very well. The essential shocks are $500 brand new, setup for your weight, riding style, and machine specs. They are not adjustable, but that is not always bad since the shock is setup for you. Like others have mentioned, if you buy used they probably aren't setup correctly for you, and this will compromise the performance. The new Elkas and Works also aren't really setup for you, and their valving is inferior to the HLS or even stock 450R shocks. I also agree with the recommendations to get used 450R front shocks and have them setup for you. Like mentioned, they are a great shock when rebuilt and setup for you.

For A-arms, I love Houser. They are very well made, and their regular travel arms give as much wheel travel as other LT setups and provide good leverage ratios. The slicast adjustment is also much easier to setup and change to suit your riding.

EDIT:
    I would also recommend a GT Thunder linkage and rear shock rebuild. You won't believe how well your 400 handles after getting the suspension setup for you!
    i completely agree with all this.

1. the HLS's are a fantastic shock for all they cost, and they come set up, FOR YOU, straight from teh factory. when you buy a pair, Laz or his tech's get your sepcs so that they are set up directly for you. if you go to any harescramble or XC race, anywhere, there are lots of dudes and gals running those shocks. not to mention johnny G, Yoho, Jeff Pickens, Brian Wolf and a few others are running them in the pro class.

2. hoursers are great. they make extremely durable products. replacement parts are abundant, and the slicast does allow for tons of adjustment.

3. id almost say that getting the rear shock done is mor important than getting the fronts done if you buy used 450r front shocks. getting my rear revalved and resprung by greg, with the GT xc link, completely changed my EX. the rear GT link completely elimnates all the bucking in the rear end caused by the stock rear shock position. getting the rear done completely smoothed out my bike and greatly increaed the handling and traction

It seems as if I have a lot to do lol. How much would it cost me if I got some 450R shocks revalved like you did Ben300 plus the rear set up? Your set up seems nice.

It seems as if I have a lot to do lol. How much would it cost me if I got some 450R shocks revalved like you did Ben300 plus the rear set up? Your set up seems nice.
    well, unfortunately, my fronts were done by Jet Suspension in Greencastle, indiana and they are going out of business on june 15th. The owner, Nick Adams, says that he wants to shift his full focus to his other business ventures. Word is though that one of his techs or someone locally may buy it and keep the business going. The fronts, with the triple rate set up cost me roughly $650. that not including the shocks, but i had had the shocks already. they did duel rate set ups, with the same exactly valving as the triple rate set up, and they do those for roughly $500. its a shame that they are closing up shop, because nick was an excellent builder and would help you get everything perfect, no matter what.

as for my rear, i had that done by Greg's ATV in coshocton, ohio. Greg McNemar is an awesome dude to work with and is awesome with his set ups. he only does duel rate fronts, but lots of guys run them (pro gabe phillips has, 2012 xc2 champ pat mcguire, x2 rider matt hanna, angel atwell, brycen neal in the past, etc), and they work just as good as any other builder out there. gregs fronts include duel rate springs, high flow valve, shock body and length mods, long life oil...and for trx450 or yfz450 fronts, cost i believe $395. He does the rear shock, with the GTT xc link included for $350.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast