Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Elkas or Works?

Or you could just look around on the classifieds and find a nice set of PEP's or Custom Axis used. They usually go for around $300-$400.
    01 400ex.. Sparks 416 kit, FCR, Leager, LSR, Custom Axis

Yeah that's true, but then I have to send them off to get revalved and all that. So it may come close to the price of new ones anyways. I found some Elkas right at $500.00. They are the basic model but still Elkas lol.
    2000 Honda TRX400EX - White Brothers E-Series exhaust full system, Pro Taper Contour handlebars, Maier 250R hood, ITP Holeshot HDs, Full skid plates, Uni air filter in CFM aluminum air box, CFM oil tank, Oury grips, E-Sticky graphics kit, Pro Armor XC nerf bars, Houser Slicast +2 a-arms, Tusk braided brake lines, Tusk gas cap, Tusk sintered brake pads, Pro Design case saver, DID X-Ring gold chain, AC Racing Blackline front bumper, Streamlime Billetanium 11 way stabilizer, 450R front shocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Zhutch7 View Post
    Yeah that's true, but then I have to send them off to get revalved and all that. So it may come close to the price of new ones anyways. I found some Elkas right at $500.00. They are the basic model but still Elkas lol.
    They're not worth it man...

I had stage 1 Elkas on a banshee and while yes it will be 18492 times better than stock, save Money and get more adjustable ones..
    '02 Banshee

Quote Originally Posted by Zakradu398 View Post
    They're not worth it man...

I had stage 1 Elkas on a banshee and while yes it will be 18492 times better than stock, save Money and get more adjustable ones..
    What is the next step up and how much more would it be?
    2000 Honda TRX400EX - White Brothers E-Series exhaust full system, Pro Taper Contour handlebars, Maier 250R hood, ITP Holeshot HDs, Full skid plates, Uni air filter in CFM aluminum air box, CFM oil tank, Oury grips, E-Sticky graphics kit, Pro Armor XC nerf bars, Houser Slicast +2 a-arms, Tusk braided brake lines, Tusk gas cap, Tusk sintered brake pads, Pro Design case saver, DID X-Ring gold chain, AC Racing Blackline front bumper, Streamlime Billetanium 11 way stabilizer, 450R front shocks.

Of course stage 2, but are there any others brands that are better than Elka's stage 1 for a smaller price than $800?

Quote Originally Posted by Zhutch7 View Post
    Of course stage 2, but are there any others brands that are better than Elka's stage 1 for a smaller price than $800?
    Go used man. The stage 3 and up Elkas are the ones you want.
    '02 Banshee

I'd go for Stage 4s if you get Elkas. I have Stage 3s on my 450 with +2 Janssen arms and while they can take a hit and are smooth even without being re-valved for my weight or riding style, they only have compression adjustment and that's it. No rebound or hi/low compression adjustment. So if you just want a good aftermarket shock and that's it, get some Stage 3s, if you want a good shock that you can fine tune to your liking then get at least Stage 4s.
    2002 Ford Ranger (Red, Westin Brush Guard, K&N CAI, Clearance Lights, couple other little things)
    2012 RAM Power Wagon (Black, Line X, Weathertech, Cover King, Flowmaster, Tinted, DiabloSport Trinity, Rertro Shop Custom Headlights, Leveled)
    2006 450R (MX/Dune/QFMX Machine)
    2005 407EX (XC, GNCC, Harescramble Machine, Not much left that's stock, PICS)

R.I.P. Caleb Moore, you will not be forgotten.
    R.I.P. Tyler Saxton, I'll never forget you bud.

Keep in mind here that I won't be racing, so I do not need the top of the line Elkas. And I am definitely not spending over a thousand bucks on some shocks. I am trail rider and I ride for fun so I am not going to be doin much competing.

There's no substitute for quality suspension. I've got the "dune edition" fronts from Elka for an EX, and some stage 3's on another bike. While the base models are a significant improvement from stock, they are not worth the money that they go for. If you think about it, spending 400 on a nice used set of quality shocks, and sending them off to get rebuilt for you, is extremely cost effective. You may end up spending a little more than your budget, but in return you get shocks that someone else is paying over 1G for, at about half price. With the high price of shocks, if I'm investing in something that substantial, I want something with the best return, and minimize my opportunity costs. To me, it just seems well worth the extra money and time.
    Even as a recreational rider, the last part of my bike I want to reach the limit of (other than my brakes of course) is my suspension.
    04 416ex
    "Bonda" DS800ex
    03 DS730
    06 Outlander 800XT
    09 Teryx
    TRX650R Hybrid
    Originally posted by baroni104
    that aint a quad, thats just some pos any1 can throw a crotch rocket motor on a frame....

That's true. Say I bought a pretty good set of shocks off of here or somewhere else. How much is it going to cost me to send them off to get set up for my weight, style of riding, etc.?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast