Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Elkas or Works?

Elkas or Works?

I am looking to get some new front shocks soon, but I am looking to find something under $500 or right at 5. What would be best for my riding style, which is trail riding? I will never race my bike, but I am getting +2 a-arms so I figured I might as well upgrade my suspension while I'm at it. Also, Laeger or Houser? Thanks -Zhutch7-
    2000 Honda TRX400EX - White Brothers E-Series exhaust full system, Pro Taper Contour handlebars, Maier 250R hood, ITP Holeshot HDs, Full skid plates, Uni air filter in CFM aluminum air box, CFM oil tank, Oury grips, E-Sticky graphics kit, Pro Armor XC nerf bars, Houser Slicast +2 a-arms, Tusk braided brake lines, Tusk gas cap, Tusk sintered brake pads, Pro Design case saver, DID X-Ring gold chain, AC Racing Blackline front bumper, Streamlime Billetanium 11 way stabilizer, 450R front shocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Zhutch7 View Post
    I am looking to get some new front shocks soon, but I am looking to find something under $500 or right at 5. What would be best for my riding style, which is trail riding? I will never race my bike, but I am getting +2 a-arms so I figured I might as well upgrade my suspension while I'm at it. Also, Laeger or Houser? Thanks -Zhutch7-
    The works are a good budget shock. If you got the dough go stage 3+ elkas.
    '02 Banshee

I got stage 2 Elka fronts there pretty smooth
    2002 400ex
    Fmf powerbomb header with White bros r4 slip on-Houser +2 steering stem w/ flex bars-Uni filter w/ pre filter and air box lid pre filter-Houser xc nerfbars
    Rear razr xc
    Front razr 2's
    Yfz front calipers-Front elka long travel stage 2 / laeger +1 long travel a arms-Lone star 1 1/4 swinger with gtthunder xc linkage and rear shock done by gtthunder 426 11:1 comp oversized oil tank ims oversized gas tank laker plastics

try and get something with both compression and rebound.. Elka before Works but you'll be able to find others in that price range. Custom Axis/Fox/Motowoz/Stadium/PEP are all great shocks too

Quote Originally Posted by chronicsmoke View Post
    try and get something with both compression and rebound.. Elka before Works but you'll be able to find others in that price range. Custom Axis/Fox/Motowoz/Stadium/PEP are all great shocks too
    I have heard the air shocks such as fox may not be the best choice for offroad since they require more maintenance.. Not sure if its true or not tho
    '02 Banshee

Quote Originally Posted by Zakradu398 View Post
    I have heard the air shocks such as fox may not be the best choice for offroad since they require more maintenance.. Not sure if its true or not tho
    Because they are air pressure you constantly have to adjust the pressure. Great if you know what you're doing.. a pita if you don't have a clue. Fox will tell you the average pressure specs for your setup if you call them though

I have Works for about 13 yrs on the 400EX and Elka's for last 7 yrs on another quad. The Works are a great shock for the money, mine are triple rate with rezzies set up
    for my riding style strait fro Works.....I would recommed the same. For plus 2 a-arms look up JD Performance....when I bought the yrs ago they said they would ship out right away...I said you mean when you get my check.....naaaa......we send them out, just send us a check later....wow...are you kidding me! Got them about a week later and then sent a check. Think the guy that makes them use to do leagers.
    1984 Honda 200M ATC
    1985 Honda 200X ATC
    1986 Honda 200X ATC
    1999 Honda 406EX....11:1, Web Cam / Hardened rockers. Ported. WB CDI. CT Racing header. WB E-Series slip on. Lonestar swinger.
    2001 Honda/KTM 520 Hybrid Quad. Its like a 400EX but twice the horsepower.
    2014 Artic Cat Wildcat Trail XT

Thanks for the replies guys. I have heard a lot of great things about Works and Elkas. I haven't heard much or looked into Fox. I have found some basic Elkas for right at $500 but every place I seem to look for Works they are more expensive than the Elkas. Where is a good place to buy and how much are they running for? What is the best deal for the money in my circumstance?
    2000 Honda TRX400EX - White Brothers E-Series exhaust full system, Pro Taper Contour handlebars, Maier 250R hood, ITP Holeshot HDs, Full skid plates, Uni air filter in CFM aluminum air box, CFM oil tank, Oury grips, E-Sticky graphics kit, Pro Armor XC nerf bars, Houser Slicast +2 a-arms, Tusk braided brake lines, Tusk gas cap, Tusk sintered brake pads, Pro Design case saver, DID X-Ring gold chain, AC Racing Blackline front bumper, Streamlime Billetanium 11 way stabilizer, 450R front shocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Zhutch7 View Post
    Thanks for the replies guys. I have heard a lot of great things about Works and Elkas. I haven't heard much or looked into Fox. I have found some basic Elkas for right at $500 but every place I seem to look for Works they are more expensive than the Elkas. Where is a good place to buy and how much are they running for? What is the best deal for the money in my circumstance?
    Stage 1 and 2 Elkas are not worth it IMO.. Too overpriced for the limited adjustability.
    '02 Banshee

I noticed that too when looking at a few websites. Do the Works have more adjustability on the basic models?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast