Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Finally Made Decision to Mod the 400EX

Quote Originally Posted by Blodg View Post
    Thanks 400man, I initial thought was to swap the rear brakes over to 450R components until I decided to part out my 250R chassis. That way I didn't have to buy anything so it saved me $180 or whatever it would have cost to get the 450R caliper, rotor, and stay off ebay.

I do have the YFZ 450 front calipers when I upgraded to them last year. And I was glad to have them yesterday going down all these huge sketchy downhills lol.

I love the build story and pics.

I don't understand the need for brake upgrades though. My family lives in the desert. We ride in the desert. I can easily lockup all 4 tires with stock brakes. The problem is that the tires just slide across the hard dirt and rocks. I guess if we had something to bite into like your dirt, it might help!

I love the father son atv camp trip!
    If it didn't kill you get up and walk it off.

Quote Originally Posted by joker11 View Post
    I love the build story and pics.

I don't understand the need for brake upgrades though. My family lives in the desert. We ride in the desert. I can easily lockup all 4 tires with stock brakes. The problem is that the tires just slide across the hard dirt and rocks. I guess if we had something to bite into like your dirt, it might help!

I love the father son atv camp trip!
    Thanks joker! I don't check her very often anymore so just now saw this. The YFZ brake caliper upgrade improves the entire braking action. The pad area is close to twice that of the EX pads which improves the feel and control of the brakes as well as the overall power to lock up the front. But of course you want as much braking power as you can get WITHOUT locking them up for the front brakes. And the YFZ calipers/pads give more margin in that area.
    Current quads:
    - Honda TRX 400EX - fully built 416cc motor and full XC racing setup for fast trail riding and hill climbing
    - Kawasaki Prairie 650 - work quad for around our property and main quad for the wife to ride
    - Suzuki LT80 - kids quad
    - Honda TRX 350RX - my old school hybrid MX quad from the 90's that has a 250R chassis with a built 350X motor and has now been converted into a XC setup

Previously owned several other sport quads and a few trikes over the years.

Looks like it has been almost 2 years since I last posted an update. I am now 49 yrs-old and me and the 416EX are still at it! The EX is getting a little love this weekend with some preventative maintenance. Oil change, new spark plug, clean air filter, check valve clearance, new a-arm pivot bushings, new upper a-arm ball joints, new front brake pads, stiffer rear spring, and all linkage/shock bearings greased.

I am also testing new jetting since I installed discs on my CT exhaust instead of the open end cap that I usually ran. I assumed the discs would restrict the flow some so I dropped the main from 190 with the open end cap down to 180 with the discs installed. I didn't really test it and went on an out of state riding trip to TN last year and it felt like it lost some power. I didn't know if it was from the discs or the jetting so this weekend I went up on the main until it was too rich and then backed down and ended up with a 192 main in my 450R carb. It definitely feels better than when I had the 180 in so I don't think I lost much if anything from the 14 discs compared to the open end cap now that the jetting is right.

I am getting the EX ready to go on another 4 day riding trip to Brimstone, TN (from Ohio) on March 1st which is only 1 1/2 weeks away now.
    Current quads:
    - Honda TRX 400EX - fully built 416cc motor and full XC racing setup for fast trail riding and hill climbing
    - Kawasaki Prairie 650 - work quad for around our property and main quad for the wife to ride
    - Honda TRX 350RX - my old school hybrid MX quad from the 90's that has a 250R chassis with a built 350X motor and has now been converted into a XC setup

Now time for another update that I have seen time and time again on this forum over the years - I bought a 450ER last year. One difference though is that I will never get rid of my 400EX!

When I started this thread back in 2013 I mentioned that I seriously debated going to a 450 but decided to mod the 400 instead. I have no regrets but I am mostly into hill climbing now and wanted more power on the hills with no run. The 416EX took me to the top of many good hills and on hills where we can get momentum at the bottom it did just fine. But many of the hills we have no run and the 416EX struggled getting enough wheel spin on those or when we let off and on the gas for ruts/tree roots or to go around a tree.

So I bought an all stock 2013 450ER last spring:

It was fairly new but had some hours on it so as soon as I bought it I tore it down to install a new crank and bearings, new piston, new cam chain, and full HRC kit to the motor.

I also added a bunch of mods to the chassis with a full XC setup: suspension, steering stabilizer, anti-vibe clamps, Rath XC footpegs/heel guards, and +4 swingarm for the hills. Here I am checking clearance for how much to raise the airbox for the GT Thunder rear link:

And here is how it sits now:

And like I said I will never get rid of the EX:

After a full year of running the 450 it definitely is my preference for tough hill climbs. But for my technical trail riding trips such as going to Hatifield-McCoy or the upcoming Brimstone TN trip I prefer the 416EX. We mostly do the red/black trails at those places and the smooth power of the EX makes it more manageable over all the rocks. Long live the EX!
    Current quads:

A couple pics of me and the 450ER in action:

And a link to my Youtube channel if anyone wants to see some climbing action:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6P...u5tR4clmWvyXZg
    Current quads:

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112