Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mud Prep

Mud Prep

Any useful tips for mud prep on these mini quads?

My main concern is the air filter getting wet. Last year at one of the races I saw what looked like 1/2 of a milk jug mounted over the filter on one of the kids quads. I wish I had taken a picture or paid more attention to the details... I don't see any great ways to mount one. Has anyone used the Hetrick air filter mug guard? It looks nice but at $185 I think the milk carton fits my budget a little better right now. Thoughts?

Milk jug, or we use the dryer vent hose. I just cut it about a foot long, cut slits in the end, slide it over the air filter and turn the end up toward the inside of the fender. Has always worked for us. Also take some electric grease and grease the ends of your plugs for the cdi/electrical connections.
    Bryan
    Benjamin Kirkland #99
    2012-2013 G-Force National rider
    2010 & 2011 DRR "Top Gun" National Team
    2010 AMA 50cvt South Champ
    2010 SEquads 7-9 Champ

Bunch of YZ85's

Thanks to our sponsors for the last few years!
    HotQuads, Elka Shocks, Alpinestar, G-Force Powersports, Wreckage Clothing, Faction Mx, Leatt Brace, Amsoil, Spy Optics, 488 web design

My kids have been running GNCC for several years and mud and water can be an issue.

We tried the Hetrick Airbox but it was too restrictive and created velocity issues for a 2Fast/Malossi type setup

We originally ran skirts inside the fenders on DRR's with a snorkel and eventually went to a full front airbox.

We have a DRR and an Apex and they are similar but different.

We purchased 2" Radiator hose with a 90 degree bend on one end. We built a firewall and a floor out of cardboard covered with duct tape and enclosed the front end under the hood and closed off the headlight opening. We run a forward facing original Haggerty Intake with the KX 65 Boot to put the carb in the correct position. We used the shortest length possible that would allow the filter to float inside the box we created without being pushed into the plastic.

On seriously rainy races we created a skirt for the steering column opening. 3 years and many wet races and our kids can go wide open through any creek, puddle etc and never have to worry. For us, that can be an advantage that made the effort worthwhile.

Gatoraid bottle slides right over uni filters and doesn't move. Works for all of us in Washington. Last Saturday at the track in 6 hours we got 5 inches of rain!!!

Excellent advice all around... Thanks guys.

Does anybody have pictures of your contraptions?

Do you guys play with tire pressure when prepping for a mud race?

Couple of views
    Attached Images Attached Images

Attached Images Attached Images

we have a hetrick box for sale
    if you want 80$ shipped

@mmsoup - It looks like you could submerge that quad past the seat and still run. Nice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast