Thread: 400ex oil filter cover gasket leaking?

Hybrid View

400ex oil filter cover gasket leaking?

hey guys. We got my brothers bike back together and we started it up. We noticed there was oil dripping from the oil filter cover. It has to be the o ring for the filter cover, but its just weird because i have never seen one of these leak. Is this common? I've worked on tons of 400's and never seen one leak.
    - 05 450r-
    October 2012 QOTM

Money was never a big motivation for me, except as a way to keep score. The real excitement is playing the game. -Donald Trump

Never seen it either.

Maybe take off the cover, clean it up and clean the o ring and lube it with a bit of grease?

I had a similar issue where it leaked from the oil lines, nothing but the factory o rings would make it stop.
    If it's stupid, and it works, it isn't stupid. - Murphy's Law
    2000 426EX,sold
    2004 450R WIP
    -Longtime A.A.D.S. (Accessory Acquisition Disorder Syndrome) sufferer.
    400EX Frequently Asked Questions, CHECK HERE FIRST!

Yeah the o ring looks pretty flat. We will grab a new one from the dealer and throw it on
    - 05 450r-
    October 2012 QOTM

Money was never a big motivation for me, except as a way to keep score. The real excitement is playing the game. -Donald Trump

I get my oil filter from Oreilly Auto Parts. It's a Wix 24944. The filter comes with a new o-ring for the cover. Thought you might like to know.
    2007 TRX400EX Sold & missed!
    2014 Polaris Sportsman 570 (awesome 4x4 quad)

Originally posted by kt1148
    I get my oil filter from Oreilly Auto Parts. It's a Wix 24944. The filter comes with a new o-ring for the cover. Thought you might like to know.
    Thanks thats very good to know. I will look into Pricing. My brother said the new gasket fixed it and no leaks now.
    - 05 450r-
    October 2012 QOTM

my hi flo filters come with an o ring too, i've replaced mine a couple times just because i had a new one.