Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Type of grease on bushings/pivot points?

Ive been told and it is true that grease for wheel and carrier bearings isnt needed.

They are sealed bearings and the grease or oil is sealed inside.

I still use a heavy amount of grease whenever I take these things apart and put back together.

I dont care if they are sealed or not I want them greased!
    400ex hybrid Finished!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMDIAw8UskQ

while grease for the actual sealed bearings is not needed. the service manual does call for grease inside the swingarm, on the axle and on the outside of the carrier.

anti seize is great for bolts and stuff like that but, when it comes to wheel bearings and axle bearings, i use marine grease.

I pick the seal out of any bearing before installling, and pack with grease. If you've ever taken a new bearing seal out, you'll notice that they put hardly any grease in them. Probably a cost saving measure.

you stand a good chance to ruin the bearing seal if you attempt to pick it out. chances are good when you put it back in, it won't be sealed like it was. There's enough grease in a brand new bearing to last a long time as longa s the seals don't go. if the seals go, it doesn't matter how much grease they put in there....it'll fail eventually.

i use this stuff called SD polyurea grease. i figured since we use it in our combines that itll be good on my quad.
    440, 11-1 comp, gt thunder headstuds, hd timing chain, hot cams stage 2, ported head, dg slip-on, jetted, 450r carb, k and n, +2 lonestar axle, 22s front, 20s rear

Thanks for all the input. It is that time of year to pull everything apart and grease the pivot points. Based in what I have read (and common sense) I will use some type of waterproof grease this time.
    Current quads:
    - Honda TRX 400EX - fully built 416cc motor and full XC racing setup for fast trail riding and hill climbing
    - Kawasaki Prairie 650 - work quad for around our property and main quad for the wife to ride
    - Suzuki LT80 - kids quad
    - Honda TRX 350RX - my old school hybrid MX quad from the 90's that has a 250R chassis with a built 350X motor and has now been converted into a XC setup

Previously owned several other sport quads and a few trikes over the years.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12