Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Switching to KTM - opinions??

Switching to KTM - opinions??

I race MX and have never raced anything but a YFZ. I recently had mechanical issues at a race and had to do the 2nd moto on my friends almost stock '09 KTM450sx. Now I want one. I felt it was much lighter, easier to maneuver, more comfortable and had at least as much power as my fully worked '10 YFZ450R. Two things I'm curious about.

-Why don't they hold their value? You can get a worked KTM for as much as 2,000 less than a comparable Yami or Honda, even though they cost much more brand new.

-Why does anyone switch from a KTM to anything else? It seems with the extreme loss of value coupled with the fact that this is the nicest race quad I've ever ridden, it makes me wonder if I'm missing a serious flaw in these bikes. I know all about the more expensive/harder to find parts but I don't buy it. This is an extremely expensive sport. Paying $10 for an oil filter instead of $5 wouldn't keep me from racing what I want to race.

Before I go get one, anyone have any insight on this???

frequent top end rebuilds.. I think they reccomend 20 hrs..

My buddy has the 505SX and rode the piss out of it until it blew.. He bought it under warrenty so they replaced it, but the bill was +2000..

He paid ~12000 up here for it brand new

I have had mine for 3years and I have really enjoy everything about the ktm quads ,no worst matainance than any other quad that is MX racing .

I went with the xc. A few mods and it over 50 hp and added the sx arms to it. The motor is pretty bullit proof compared to the sx version.

^^ I think if I were to ride a KTM that's what I would do too.

I think the XC is a SOHC IIRC, I've always liked the XC to SX conversions.

Re: Switching to KTM - opinions??

Originally posted by LI Racer

-Why does anyone switch from a KTM to anything else? It seems with the extreme loss of value coupled with the fact that this is the nicest race quad I've ever ridden, it makes me wonder if I'm missing a serious flaw in these bikes.
    I own one and still wonder these things. Lol I've had my 505sx since 09 and I've had one top end rebuild. Besides that only broken parts that were my fault.

Re: Re: Switching to KTM - opinions??

Originally posted by MX MaNiAc 06
    I own one and still wonder these things. Lol I've had my 505sx since 09 and I've had one top end rebuild. Besides that only broken parts that were my fault.
    My buddy could only blame himself for blowing it up.. he pounded that thing and never maintained it. I drove it a few times and was impressed by the 505. He never even adjusted his shocks whatsoever.. talk about a waste.

He was leading this moto, went from first place to DNF pretty quick haha
    Attached Images Attached Images

ive owned both a stock ktm 450sx and a built one and loved both and parts for them arent hard to find but they are expensive especially oem ones
    2009 Ktm 450 sx - Built

2005 450r - stock

97 turbod s10

Lifted 98 chevy

Originally posted by MxRider52
    ive owned both a stock ktm 450sx and a built one and loved both and parts for them arent hard to find but they are expensive especially oem ones
    Where do you order your parts from?

the places i receive most of my parts from are www.ktmamerica.com
    www.ktm-parts.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast