Thread: '04 Predator 90cc HELP

Question '04 Predator 90cc HELP

Hey everyone... My son has a '04 Predator 90cc that he loves to ride! Just one problem, went up the blackriver, WI ATV trails and after a half days worth of riding thru mud and puddles it back fires (black puff) and dies and just sat and turned over....

Long story short I pulled the stator "which was CAKED full of mud/sand" cleaned it up and put that all back togather, checked for spark "good" had plenty of compression.

Took the carb down to the local polaris repair guy, he replaced the needles/jets and cleaned it.

Here's the problem now, turned it over to start it and it just keeps turn'n over and over and over..... give it full throttle and she'll slowly fire up and run.

Keep giving it gas and she'll stay running, as soon as you let out of the throttle she"ll idle down then quite. I spun the idle screw up and down and that didnt change a thing.....

Any HELP would be greatly appreciated

you say good compression,what did you get?should be around 120lbs. maybe exhaust pluged.black smoke means running rich or too much oil.check air filter and maybe take off ounce running to see if it runs better. carb may be out of adj.check your basic's spark-plug-coil

hey i dont know enough about these motors to talk, but if you go to polarisproriders.com there are some highly trained guys on there that are always willing to help with ANYTHING polaris related.

however it does sound like its compression to me as well.

Either the valves are toast or your rings are gone.

Low compression can create a lack of vacuum to suck the fuel and air in at low RPMs.
    * Spode Freestyler *

Team Spode Racing

Thank you to my sponsors: DWT, Motoworks, Lone Star Racing, Dirt Fiend Racing, Go Pro Cameras, Amsoil, Spy Optics, Motoconcepts, We All Ride Clothing, Leatt Braces, ODI Grips

2004 YFZ450

yup just thru the compression test on it....35lbs....! not good!

Sounds like piston rings from the black smoke. The oil jet is pushing the oil past the rings and the oil is burning.

If the rings went make sure you check the cylinder for scoring.
    * Spode Freestyler *

Team Spode Racing

Thank you to my sponsors: DWT, Motoworks, Lone Star Racing, Dirt Fiend Racing, Go Pro Cameras, Amsoil, Spy Optics, Motoconcepts, We All Ride Clothing, Leatt Braces, ODI Grips

2004 YFZ450

most likely you sucked mud and water past the crappie air filter box on these things and scored the rings ,piston and cylinder. i live not to far from you ,may be able to help with parts. i will pm you my number