Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 440 w/450R carb jetting issues

440 w/450R carb jetting issues

Here's one for you to contemplate.
    440 w 450R carb (zrpilot adt)
    Full FMF exhaust
    stock head (w kibble valves, stock sizes)

test 1:
    190 main
    48 pilot
    2.5 turns A/F
    clip @ #2 slot
    - start fine
    - idle fine
    -slow throttle roll, good to 1/2 plus throttle then stumble

changed main jets from 190 all the way down to 168 using sizes in between. same results as beginning.

Test 2:
    185 main
    50 pilot
    2.5 A/F
    clip @ #3 pos. (center)

Changed jets all the way down AGAIN to 168
    - same results!!!!!!???????

Called zrpilot, (great dude btw!)
    After talking to him and explaining all the checks, he suggested removing the air box!!
    Test #3:
    185 main
    50 pilot
    20.5 A.F
    clip @#3
    (No airbox)
    -ran GREAT, no stumble, hit rev limiter REAL quick!!

Recalled Z, he suggested replace air box.
    - replaced it and
    -started
    -idled
    -stumbled at throttle. 1/2 to WOT!!

We are thinking this one out! Interesting huh!

Suggestions are welcome!!! Will post more info later, off to garage!!
    400Trooper
    " Life is NOT a dressed rehearsal"

2002 TRX400EX - Highly modified!!

The stumble generally means its running rich, although it is very odd that you can go all the way down to 168 and still stumble.

Is it possible that your snorkel is clogged? My friend ran his ex everyday, let it sit for 1 week and a rat built a nest in his snorkel.

It wouldnt start wouldnt run, after he noticed the nest while trying to clean his filter, it ran great once it was removed...lol.

Just a thought.
    400ex hybrid Finished!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMDIAw8UskQ

Tried removing just the airbox lid?

I also run no snorkel, put a spraypaint can lid in its place.
    If it's stupid, and it works, it isn't stupid. - Murphy's Law
    2000 426EX,sold
    2004 450R WIP
    -Longtime A.A.D.S. (Accessory Acquisition Disorder Syndrome) sufferer.
    400EX Frequently Asked Questions, CHECK HERE FIRST!

Originally posted by JOHNDOE83
    The stumble generally means its running rich, although it is very odd that you can go all the way down to 168 and still stumble.

Is it possible that your snorkel is clogged? My friend ran his ex everyday, let it sit for 1 week and a rat built a nest in his snorkel.

It wouldnt start wouldnt run, after he noticed the nest while trying to clean his filter, it ran great once it was removed...lol.

Just a thought.
    I don't run the air box lid or snorkel, and air box and air horn are completely clear and clean! Did you read the part about it running great without the air box attached? But would stumble bad with just the box and no filter in place!!! very perplexing huh!! Thx
    400Trooper

450 carb swap

First I'll list my mods then my current problem . 440 big bore kit stage two hot can port and polish full white bros exhaust kibble white valves and springs. I'm used to my bike being a torque monster but lacking some high end power so I decided to get a 450r carb in doing this I figured more air needs more fuel in order not to lean out.. So my bike running a 44 pilot and a 175 main on a stock carb 1st gear threw 3rd on the back tire petty much dragging rear bar now I did the swap and I put a 44 pilot and a 210 main ( obviously very rich) and needle 3rd from top but the bike at WOT is running like a raped ape but take off is lacking power .. Not really stumbling or spitting just not strong should I leave all a/f alone and just go with a 195-185??
    2006 440ex 11:1,port n polish,kibble white valves, itp Rims black, itp holeshots hd, 13tooth front sprocket, white brothers full exhaust, aluminum oversized oil cooler,450r carb, 450r shocks

Re: 450 carb swap

Originally posted by 06440ex
    First I'll list my mods then my current problem . 440 big bore kit stage two hot can port and polish full white bros exhaust kibble white valves and springs. I'm used to my bike being a torque monster but lacking some high end power so I decided to get a 450r carb in doing this I figured more air needs more fuel in order not to lean out.. So my bike running a 44 pilot and a 175 main on a stock carb 1st gear threw 3rd on the back tire petty much dragging rear bar now I did the swap and I put a 44 pilot and a 210 main ( obviously very rich) and needle 3rd from top but the bike at WOT is running like a raped ape but take off is lacking power .. Not really stumbling or spitting just not strong should I leave all a/f alone and just go with a 195-185??
    Man I feel your pain! I'm dealing with an issue similar and it's pissing me off! My quad will run like a raped ape without the air box, but put the air box back in and stumble badly from 1/2 throttle to WOT!
    400Trooper

Well after much digging and research into my 450R carb I found a few things that are contributing to my problems.

#1. Wrong needle!!!
    #2. Wrong needle jet!!

So off to order the correct ones from service Honda!

Lesson to all: When buying a 450R carb, make sure it has ALL the CORRECT ORIGINAL parts inside. It is utterly impossible to tune the carb without them!!

Thanks again to zrpilot, this man is a GENIUS and knows his ****!!!
    400Trooper

Re: 450 carb swap

Originally posted by 06440ex
    Main jet has nothing to do with your lowend, main jet is only topend.

If it runs like a ape at wot then its not to rich, in fact you could possibly go even richer and make it even better.

I used a 220 mainjet, 50 pilot on my 440 and it was a super beast.

You might be hesitating from being to lean on your pilot jett.
    400ex hybrid Finished!

Originally posted by 400Trooper
    I don't run the air box lid or snorkel, and air box and air horn are completely clear and clean! Did you read the part about it running great without the air box attached? But would stumble bad with just the box and no filter in place!!! very perplexing huh!! Thx
    Yes I read it.

Thats why I suggested a block in the snorkel, but if you have removed the snorkel and dont run a airbox lid, then I guess it doesnt really matter.
    400ex hybrid Finished!

o i just figured that the main jet was dumping too much fuel and what makes the enormous amount of popping on decell? its never done this before i put this carb on..
    2006 440ex 11:1,port n polish,kibble white valves, itp Rims black, itp holeshots hd, 13tooth front sprocket, white brothers full exhaust, aluminum oversized oil cooler,450r carb, 450r shocks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast