Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: more power or changed gearing?

more power or changed gearing?

i ride xc as you all know. when i ride woods like decently tight trails im bouncin the rev limiter in 2nd gear then i get into 3rd and its gutluss. i want the power and bottom end of 2nd gear but longevity of like 3rd/4th gear. is it a matter of i just need more power or is it gearing issues and i should gear for better bottom end. if gearing what should i go for for sprocket sizes?
    XC 08 450r

I vote for more power. What are your current mods?
    2000-440ex Stroker--Fan Cooled

Houser +1 A-Arms, Elka Triple rates, Laegers +1 1/4 Swingarm, G-Force Axle w/Durablue Anti-Fade Locknut, 14/36 Gearing, DID X-Ring Chain, C&D Revalved Rear, Maier Silver Plastic, Steel Grey PCed Frame, SPAL Fan, AC Bumper, Pro Armour Footpeg Extensions, Renthal Bars, Yoshimura Full Exhaust, 450R Carb w/ZR's Adaptor, K&N w/o Lid, Powroll 440 Stroker w/stg 3 HC, P&P Head, HD rod, GT Thunder HD Studs, and Timing chain, AMR Monster Coil, 4 Degree Advance Key and a 12oz lighter flywheel. Now at 12.5:1 Compression!

450R Front brake upgrade using 06-up Spindles and 07' hubs.

450R Rear Brake Upgrade

Kenda Knarly XC Radial 21x11x9 Rear Tires

Shorai Lithium Iron Battery

Running E85--Jetting: 70 pilot, 240 main, HRC needle on bottom notch and shimmed.

power wise? motoworks slip on with a uni filter jetted correctly
    XC 08 450r

Well if you've still got stock sprocket sizes and still want lower gearing the only thing you could do is drop a tooth on the front. Because they don't make anything higher than a 39 tooth for the rear unless you buy a custom sprocket.
    2002 Ford Ranger (Red, Westin Brush Guard, K&N CAI, Clearance Lights, couple other little things)
    2012 RAM Power Wagon (Black, Line X, Weathertech, Cover King, Flowmaster, Tinted, DiabloSport Trinity, Rertro Shop Custom Headlights, Leveled)
    2006 450R (MX/Dune/QFMX Machine)
    2005 407EX (XC, GNCC, Harescramble Machine, Not much left that's stock, PICS)

R.I.P. Caleb Moore, you will not be forgotten.
    R.I.P. Tyler Saxton, I'll never forget you bud.

yup i still got stock sprockets. so drop a tooth?
    XC 08 450r

when i went one lower tooth count on the front sprocket, i definitely felt the difference. It isnt enough to screw up your top end too much, but on hills that I was previously lugging up it just felt a lot better and in the meaty part or the powerband. It is definitely worth giving a try, i mean you can do a smaller front sprocket for less that $20. you arent investing a lot of cash or time to do it. if you decide it isnt enough and feel you need more power, you havent strained the wallet too much. i say go with the sprocket first.
    ~Beefy~
    -2001 400EX: 450R shocks, Renthal bars, AC Racing nerfs, MSR AOF Clutch Lever, K&N with Outerwears , CCP Steering Stabilizer, Old school Big Gun Exhaust, PRM Desert Grab Bar, Rock bumper, Ricochet Swing arm, Skid plate, Pro Grips, Emgo Hand guards, Primary Drive sprockets, GBC Shredder Tires, LSR Parking Brake Delete, N-Style Graphics and GripperSeat
    -1998 Polaris Trail Blazer 250 (Dad's): Fox Shocks, ProTaper bars, Badlands 2000lb winch

2005 Honda 400ex:
    WB e-2 exhaust
    Hot Cams Stage 2
    KFX450r Front Shocks
    Custom CNC Stabilizer
    SPAL 4" Fan
    ITP rear Holeshot XCR's
    ITP rear Baja Rims
    UM Air Scoops
    Tusk Blue Headlights
    K&N Filter/Outerwear
    Vp vpr fuel
    155 Main, 42 Pilot
    14/38 gearing
    Moose Poly case saver
    Alba rear wave rotor
    Powermadd Handguards
    ODI Rogue Grips
    Pro Taper Contour Bars
    Alba 1 1/8 Clamps
    Maier scooped hood
    Tusk Quick Adjust Clutch Lever
    Outerwears Shock Covers
    Pro Armor Nerfs
    Pro Armor Foot Peg Extenders
    AC Mudscreen Bumper
    K&K Graphics Kit w/ Seat Cover

And rocket makes a 41 and 42 rear. Idk if the 42 would fit the skid plate tho.

http://www.magicracing.com/Rocket-St...0R_p_9335.html
    2005 Honda 400ex:
    WB e-2 exhaust
    Hot Cams Stage 2
    KFX450r Front Shocks
    Custom CNC Stabilizer
    SPAL 4" Fan
    ITP rear Holeshot XCR's
    ITP rear Baja Rims
    UM Air Scoops
    Tusk Blue Headlights
    K&N Filter/Outerwear
    Vp vpr fuel
    155 Main, 42 Pilot
    14/38 gearing
    Moose Poly case saver
    Alba rear wave rotor
    Powermadd Handguards
    ODI Rogue Grips
    Pro Taper Contour Bars
    Alba 1 1/8 Clamps
    Maier scooped hood
    Tusk Quick Adjust Clutch Lever
    Outerwears Shock Covers
    Pro Armor Nerfs
    Pro Armor Foot Peg Extenders
    AC Mudscreen Bumper
    K&K Graphics Kit w/ Seat Cover

Originally posted by BeefySTi
    when i went one lower tooth count on the front sprocket, i definitely felt the difference. It isnt enough to screw up your top end too much, but on hills that I was previously lugging up it just felt a lot better and in the meaty part or the powerband. It is definitely worth giving a try, i mean you can do a smaller front sprocket for less that $20. you arent investing a lot of cash or time to do it. if you decide it isnt enough and feel you need more power, you havent strained the wallet too much. i say go with the sprocket first.
    what im afraid of is itll make 2nd shorter yet and feel like first and wouldnt really effect 3rd our stock gearing is different to. whats the stock gearing on 05+ and 04-
    XC 08 450r

'05 is 14/39
    '04 is 15/38
    2002 Ford Ranger (Red, Westin Brush Guard, K&N CAI, Clearance Lights, couple other little things)
    2012 RAM Power Wagon (Black, Line X, Weathertech, Cover King, Flowmaster, Tinted, DiabloSport Trinity, Rertro Shop Custom Headlights, Leveled)
    2006 450R (MX/Dune/QFMX Machine)
    2005 407EX (XC, GNCC, Harescramble Machine, Not much left that's stock, PICS)

R.I.P. Caleb Moore, you will not be forgotten.
    R.I.P. Tyler Saxton, I'll never forget you bud.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast