Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sweet Exhaust Smell

Sweet Exhaust Smell

Yesterday while out and about trail riding my buddy pointed out that my exhaust had a sweet smell to it. It's not two-stroke like just a little different than normal. I've had a hunch that somehow my quad is burning oil but nothing seems to add up.

When I bought the quad it smoked a little bit, it was a weird off-white color, but not really blue. At this time the exhaust was completely shot, no packing, holes in the can and the end cap was barely attached.

I replaced the silencer and it smoked bluish white for the first few hours. I expected that since it was a brand new exhaust but the faint trace of blue did throw me a bit.

Now the exhaust is broken in and I haven't seen a hint of smoke sense, however it was not more than a few hours before it started smelling funny.

All of the while my oil level has stayed consistent, I haven't lost a single drop of oil, and I check every ride to make sure of this.

I'm totally stumped. There's been all of these random symptoms of oil burning - none happening simultaneously - and my oil level is still at just a hair below full.

Anyone???
    High RPM Motocross - Trippin Rev Limiters since 2010

2006 Trx450er - White Brothers Aluminum Pro Full Exhaust * Sedona Bazooka Tires * Tusk Nerf Bars * DG Grab Bar * Magura Handlebars * More To Come!

RIP 400ex

Might be your fuel or additives in the fuel. I know race fuel has a sweet type smell
    2008 Honda TRX400EX with a few mods - #890B Quad 0-400 (sport 15+)

Could be, I don't add any additives to my fuel but it may be a good idea to do so, the fuel quality is not good around here. It's not a race gas smell it's got that oil burning smell but I wonder if it's the crud they add to the 92 pump gas.

2006 Trx450er - White Brothers Aluminum Pro Full Exhaust * Sedona Bazooka Tires * Tusk Nerf Bars * DG Grab Bar * Magura Handlebars * More To Come!

RIP 400ex

maybe its the synthetic oil??

I don't use synthetic oil, I've been considering it but I still run standard Honda 10w-40 right now.

RIP 400ex

i run honda 20w-50 but i have that same problem with my 400 but it even did it with the stock exhaust
    i know it burned the 10w-40 oil but mainly cause it had a little to much then it would stop
    08 400ex , cut fenders, HMF slipon with modified stock header, 11:1 wiseco piston, stage 2 hot cams, burgard +2+1 a arms, rebuilt 450r shocks, tusk axle, rear itp baja rims with dunlop quadmax sports all around, racesin nerfbars and bumper, houser plus 1 stem with atv low bend pro taper bars asv lever streamline clutch cable and oury grips, rejeted 165 main jet 40 pilot and dynojet needle with K&N air filter, runs no airbox (sold)

05 trx 450r 13.5:1 je piston, port polish, stage 2 hotcam, full yoshi pipe, uni filter, +2 a arms +4 lonestar axle, stage 3 std travle elka, hiper rear rims, itp baja front rims, itp holeshots dunlop quadmax sport, bare gusset kit, quadtech hood, pro armor bumper, dg nerfs, +1 houser stem, protape atv low bend bars

Originally posted by Rohr397
    I don't use synthetic oil, I've been considering it but I still run standard Honda 10w-40 right now.
    Personally I think that the people over at honda know what oil is best for there motors. Thats why i run honda oil , Its more expensive then alot of other oils but i just think that i wont go wrong using the recomended oil.
    2005 Honda 400ex mods: HMF comp series full system exhaust, K&N air filter no air box lid, CFM oil tank, Mod Quad handle bar clamp, Pro Taper high bend handle bars, Pro Taper pillow top grips, Pro Taper hand guards, Factory Effex bar pad, 450r front shocks, MSR AOR clutch lever, HOT CAM stage two.
    Honda foreman 450 mods: HMF performance series slip on, K&N air filter with prefilter, Super atv front disk brakes, Dunlop quad max tires.
    Ski doo mxzx 440 LC 1998.

I think that honda tells you that you need to buy their oil so they can pad their pockets on their ridiculously overpriced oil.
    tie or die
    dc21 bridge painters

^^^
    X2
    Holeshot HDs, 450R shocks, Pro Taper, Burgard +1 stem and +1 +1 A-Arms, Powermadd, DG, AC, IMS Roll, Pro Armor, HiPer, HMF, Renthal, Moose, Tusk, Modquad, Primary Drive, Spal fan, Custom Axis setup by GT Thunder, GT Thunder XC link, Stainless brake lines, molycoated YFZ calipers

Originally posted by D3structive
    I think that honda tells you that you need to buy their oil so they can pad their pockets on their ridiculously overpriced oil.
    Its not that over priced at $20 a gallon. Why what do you run and how much does it cost??
    2005 Honda 400ex mods: HMF comp series full system exhaust, K&N air filter no air box lid, CFM oil tank, Mod Quad handle bar clamp, Pro Taper high bend handle bars, Pro Taper pillow top grips, Pro Taper hand guards, Factory Effex bar pad, 450r front shocks, MSR AOR clutch lever, HOT CAM stage two.
    Honda foreman 450 mods: HMF performance series slip on, K&N air filter with prefilter, Super atv front disk brakes, Dunlop quad max tires.
    Ski doo mxzx 440 LC 1998.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast