Thread: Recon Problems

Recon Problems

I have a cousin who has a newer Recon and is having starting problems. He said he charged the battery and it still would sit and click. I would think it would probably be a starter problem, am I worng? What else could it be? Are these known for any starting problems. Thanks in advance.
    2008 Can Am DS450
    PRM Baja Bumper and Skid

2007 Honda Rincon 680
    Fuel Injected
    ITP Mudlites
    Hopefully some more goodies soon

1986 Honda ATC 250SX
    Knobby tires all-round
    otherwise.................... STOCK

Your problem is that the starter is not getting enough current. This is due to 1 of 3 things:

1. Bad battery, Just because it has voltage does not mean it has amperage. A bad cell could show full charge but still cause a no start condition. Check the water ~ add water if necessary. Look for the bad cell to boil or bubble when you attempt to start the ATV.

2. Bad connection (battery to starter)
    Cables @ battery / Cables @ starter sylinoid / cables @ engine ground / cables @ starter.

The bad connection is easy to find as the bad connection (point of high resistace) will be HOT after attempting to start the ATV. The Recons factory crimped battery cable connections are known for working loose. I prefer to hit them with a plumbing torch and solder to make sure they stay connected.

3. Worn starter brushes. The starter brushes are a wear item. Replacement brush / bearing / seal kit is available on Ebay.

A worn set of brushes will show as: the starter sylinoid click when you push the start button and nothing happens (tap the starter firmly with the butt end ~ wooden handle of a hammer while holding down the start button). Do this just firm enough to shake the bad connection from the worn brush inside the starter. If the engine instantly turns over when you tap the starter then you need to install a new set of brushes. (any local starter / alternator shop can do this for you if you provide them the starter and the brush kit. or you can "You Tube" it ~ as I'm sure there is a how to video on You tube somewhere.

Just like he said, check the battery for the essentials. Clean connections, make sure bolts are tight and clean of corrosion if you see it. Either way unbolt the cables and take a wire brush to the contact points then put them back on. I had a Honda that the starter solenoid crapped out and I had to bridge the terminals with a steel screw driver to start the motor. If that doesn't work, smack the starter motor with a hammer or heavy screw driver. Smacking the starter will jar it enough too move the motor and brushes enough to get things to contact enough. If that is the last resort either buy and install a new brush kit or a new starter. Electrical gremlins are a pita, tracking down the problem is a pain. I like to check out the easiest solutions first. I am not an expert but I have been down this road before and was able to fix it.
    05 YFZ
    Custom Axis, Ars-Fx, Hiper, Rekluse, Pro-tec Skids.... Nuff Said!

OXC #317 B-Class