Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2006er CDI question

2006er CDI question

We have a 2006er that we converted to a kicker, a buddy of mine simplified the wiring harness for me, but accidentally misplaced my CDI box while doing the harness, so I figured no biggie I will just get another one on ebay, so I did. Oh boy, not that simple, got the one from ebay and quad would fire but not start, it starts but immediately dies, so I quess you would say just fires, anyway, figured I got a bad CDI so I took it to my buddys house we put his CDI on our bike and it fired right up first kick, so ok bad CDI, so I get another, same thing, I now have 6 cdi boxes, all Denso's 071000-3460, 071000-3051, and 071000-3131 and none of them will work, they all do the same thing. Now the CDI that was on my buddys was red not black Denso, but no numbers or markings, so I have no clue what his is. Has anybody else ran into this problem and if so, what the He** did you do to solve it? A local engine builder said he ran into it once also and it was on an 06 as well, he just kept swaping CDI boxes till he found one that worked but Im up to 6 now with no luck, I am going to go in the poor house buying CDI's, LOL......Any Suggestions?????????

Thanks
    Kevin Smitley
    Brandon Smitley #423
    B.A.K. Motorsports
    2005 TRX450R Race Bike
    2006 TRX450R Practice Bike
    Special Thanks to:
    Dave Carter (DC motorsports)
    Bruno At Quadified Racing Engines
    Fly Racing / Western Powersports
    Jody at JB Racing
    Impact Solutions
    Elka
    Leatt
    Ernie At FTR
    Rath Racing
    All Balls Racing
    Slick
    Grandma and Pappy

Buy a dyna. Tell them what u have.
    RECREATION TIRES
    www.rectires.com

when he rewired the harness did he plan on using a 06 r cdi or was it wired for the 06er cdi?
    on the er cdi you need to add a condenser and power the safety circuit side of the cdi,
    post a schematic of exactly how its wired and I will be able to tell the issue

starting and dies sounds like you need a condenser to power the ER cdi.. that's the symptom it makes

the red ricks cdi doesn't need the carb safety circuit power to start like the er cdi does.. but your better off with the oem cdi wired with condensor

you dont need a condenser for a conversion like that, unless you want to run a light and fan

your problem is the wiring was done wrong and the safety swith of the carburator is still active, you can unplug the one from the thumb but you need to bypass the one from the carburator

i have done allot of those and they work fine
    GRM Fab work

Quote Originally Posted by gui96 View Post
    you dont need a condenser for a conversion like that, unless you want to run a light and fan

your problem is the wiring was done wrong and the safety swith of the carburator is still active, you can unplug the one from the thumb but you need to bypass the one from the carburator

Thanks guys, i got a cdi today that makes it run, its a red box, says cdi10901 on it, pretty sure its a factoy box just not a denso one, so for now were good, but i will chk with him on how he wired it and see what we come up with

Thankd again
    Brandon Smitley #423
    B.A.K. Motorsports
    2005 TRX450R Race Bike
    Special Thanks to:
    Jody at JB Racing
    Impact Solutions
    Elka
    Leatt
    Ernie At FTR
    Rath Racing
    All Balls Racing
    Slick
    Grandma and Pappy

no its more then likely a ricks, setup for R and not ER and is missing the 4 wire connector that is on the er cdi...

the reason why it runs with that cdi is it doesn't have the tors ( carb and throttle safety circuitry is non existent on those cdi's)
    which is fine as its not needed for the conversion anyways...however its not an oem cdi and have been known to run erratic spark at times, usually if you get one that runs good thought the rpm range it should work fine... but watch the plug if running continued high speed full throttle runs as they have been know to run lean on top

I promise its not a factory cdi

Ok its been doing ok with the ricks cdi but would like to get it right so it will work with the stock cdi, would u be able to tell me what wires i need to do to make it right?
    Brandon Smitley #423
    B.A.K. Motorsports
    2005 TRX450R Race Bike
    Special Thanks to:
    Jody at JB Racing
    Impact Solutions
    Elka
    Leatt
    Ernie At FTR
    Rath Racing
    All Balls Racing
    Slick
    Grandma and Pappy

I don't use the condenser just for the sake of the auxiliary light fan circuit, I use it to protect the stock cdi from voltage spikes directly from the stator that you will get without a condenser

are you saying that you used an ER cdi? and no condenser?
    if so were are you getting the power to the black wire on the carb safety connector on the cdi? the +06 r cdi doesn't need this power wire but the ER cdi does
    without that black wire powered it wont run on a +06er cdi,
    and if your just powering from the stator output you stand a great chance of sending too high a voltage to the safety side of the cdi and shorting it out

check the drawings ive got under the sticky and tell me how you made this work your way ...im very interested in your wiring method,
    if you could draw it up and I will add this way to all of the rest

Quote Originally Posted by mxdad423 View Post
    Ok its been doing ok with the ricks cdi but would like to get it right so it will work with the stock cdi, would u be able to tell me what wires i need to do to make it right?
    check the sticky ive got a wiring schematic that has been used by several members already to do the conversion from a +06er to a R with the stock CDI
    here is the schematic, but the thread has some good info if you get stuck

450%20er%20to%20r%20conversion.gif

Quote Originally Posted by DnB_racing View Post
    check the sticky ive got a wiring schematic that has been used by several members already to do the conversion from a +06er to a R with the stock CDI
    here is the schematic, but the thread has some good info if you get stuck

450%20er%20to%20r%20conversion.gif

Thanks, but i got it figured out last night. It is the pink with blk stripe wire out of cdi box, put it to ground and now the stock cdi works, he just had it cut off, once i pit it to ground it fired right up.
    Brandon Smitley #423
    B.A.K. Motorsports
    2005 TRX450R Race Bike
    Special Thanks to:
    Jody at JB Racing
    Impact Solutions
    Elka
    Leatt