Thread: chain length on 14/36 sprockets.

Question chain length on 14/36 sprockets.

Hey Y'all!!!!!!! I had a question about the chain length for a stock swingarm with 14 tooth front sprocket and a 36 tooth rear sprocket on a 2003 300 EX. I am looking to buy a new set and was curious about the number of links the chain needed. I remember something to the effect of for every tooth up front you add 2 and for every tooth you go down you take away.....and so on. I don't remember exactly what it was. I also was wondering about the pros and cons of the aluminum Renthal sets. Any information and patience is greatly appreciated as I am new to this forum stuff.
    2003 300EX K&N/ no air box lid Supertrapp IDS 2 exhaust
    Maxxis Razors 22 front 20 rear
    Dynojet jet kit
    14 front sproket soon to be 36 rear
    Hoping for a FST 330 Big Bore

Between duck tape, WD-40 and cajun ingenuity anything is fixable!!!!!!!!!

I don't know Y but i've always ordered an 86 link chain to fit 14/36. Thats what I run. But last time It didn't fit. Go with an 88 so U know for sure it will fit. U can take a link out or whatever.

Thank you for your reply. I was kicking that idea around but i wanted to make sure. I just didnt wanna order the 88 and come up short ya know, but that sounds like a game plan. again thank you
    Dynojet jet kit

no problem. like i said getting the 88 u will for sure have enough chain. even if u gotta take a couple lengths out atleast ur not short. I use a dremel and grind down the pin on both sides and knock it out with a punch. Easiest way if u dont have a chain breaker

Thumbs up

well thats cool but i do have the chain breaker and the link press. thanks for the dremel tip though. i have a dremel tool and i use that thing for as much as i can. it definitely earns its place with the other tools lol. but yeah for the couple extra bucks its worth it not to have to deal with the headache of coming up short then having to return it then wait for a new one.
    Dynojet jet kit