Thread: Cut fenders / Unbolt big fenders WTF?!?

Cut fenders / Unbolt big fenders WTF?!?

Just acquired a 2008 700xx! From what I read online, I thought I could simply unbolt the big front fenders and be left with what looks like cut fenders. Turns out the big front fenders support the headlight and when you remove the big fenders the head light gets all floppy. And then there are those two brackets that stick way out and if you remove those, the headlight literally is completely unbolted. So, I have seen a lot of pictures of people with the unbolted big fenders but with their headlight in place and I am guessing secured. My question for the good people of this forum: what are your techniques for removing those big fenders and getting that cut fender look but still having a non-floppy headlight? The solutions I have come up with are actually cutting the fender or modifying those big fender brackets. But I was hoping I could bolt and unbolt those big fenders depending on the riding environment. Any thoughts?
    Bikes: Crazy Sundahl built 650r, 04 450r, 08 700xx.

I did this, just trying to remember exactly how everything bolts together, would be a lot easier if I had my 700XX in front of me. The headlight has four bolts, correct? Two to the frame, the other two to the big outer fender. My headlight is just being held on by the two bolts to the frame, but I also don't use my stock headlight and never have with just those two bolts it, but it is not a problem, for regular daytime riding. I can wiggle it pretty good, but I wouldn't consider it "floppy". Night riding could be a different story.

The two brackets that stick way out there is not much you can do with, I actually cut mine off once they get away from the main frame, since I had no intention of ever using the outer fender again. You can bolt and ubolt that outer fender as needed, but you will have to leave the two brackets in place and the headlight will wiggle some. I have two 700XX, one I removed the outer fender, the other I trimmed a lot of the outer fender off. I like the look of the trimmed outer fender better, but the one with the outer fender removed worked fine until I added an IMS tank, you then loose the hooks where the front of the hood piece attaches. that one I actually had a local fab shop make me some mounts that attach the hood "wings" to the two brackets that I cut the pieces off of. Works great now. There are pics over at club700xx.com, search for my user name D Bergstrom.

Doug
    2004 TRX450R, 2008 TRX700XX
    (BITD #639 Quad Ironman Expert)

2013 sponsors: Teixeiratech.com, Motowoz.com, Dirttricks.com, Snailmotorsports.com, My bank account.

2008 TRX700XX
    2005 TRX450R
    1986 TRX250R

Thanks for the advice Doug! I am leaning more towards trimming the fenders.

I cut my fender leaving all the mounts where they were. I'll try to post a photo.