Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Common Problems

Common Problems

Next year I'll be looking into getting a newer ATV and right now I'm really looking into the Can-Am DS450 and Polaris MXR450. I've always ridden Yamaha and Honda but I am looking to try out something new. Plus I've seen a lot of good things coming from smaller companies. I have heard a lot about the DS450 so I've got my info there, but I know very little about Polaris ATV's. I'm looking into 09 and newer MXR450's only, I don't want an older Outlaw I liked the motor but was disappointed with the ergonomics and I'm not a fan of the looks either. I'm just curious about common problems and flaws with these quads. Literally any info is extremely helpful. Thanks!
    High RPM Motocross - Trippin Rev Limiters since 2010

2006 Trx450er - White Brothers Aluminum Pro Full Exhaust * Sedona Bazooka Tires * Tusk Nerf Bars * DG Grab Bar * Magura Handlebars * More To Come!

RIP 400ex

1 suggestion, dont buy the outlaw.

Its discontinued, had a very limited run, is plagued with problems, and parts are hard to find.
    * Spode Freestyler *

Team Spode Racing

Thank you to my sponsors: DWT, Motoworks, Lone Star Racing, Dirt Fiend Racing, Go Pro Cameras, Amsoil, Spy Optics, Motoconcepts, We All Ride Clothing, Leatt Braces, ODI Grips

2004 YFZ450

I race an '09 450MXR and love it. I have had very few problems with it, and nothing major. It is a little difficult to find some aftermarket parts, but some very good companies support the Outlaw like Rath Racing.

The engine is golden, the chassis is strong, lightweight and well balanced. The suspension is really quite good, I race XC and it works great for that. I am taller, 6'2", and love the ergonomics of the taller bar height. I have plenty of room to move around on the large, flat seat.

Only real drawback is the airbox. Because the rear shock is a no link and stands nearly straight up it limits room for an airbox. There are multiple homemade solutions and modifications of KTM airboxes for the Outlaw. I don't find the stock box too bad, except is a giant step backwards in the ease of service department. I run a stock box without lid and the KTM engine sings a beautiful song at full tilt.

At least the Outlaw doesn't have the electical gremlins of the DS450. And you can find one for cheap if you look around.
    '09 Polaris Outlaw 450 MXR XC Racer
    2010 35+B Class Champion

PolarisProRiders.com and ask. There's some CanAm guys on there that might be able to give you a better idea of pros/cons. I love my Outlaws but there are some def. things that need to be changed immediately off the bat. My race bike came with everything on it. Now having a closer to stock practice bike, I've seen and delt with the things that need to go asap.
    Brett Butter #212
    Bad Boys Cycles (856)-691-5595

-1969 Nova SS 396 Super Pro Drag Car

'10 Outlaw MXR National Race Bike-*Sold*
    '09 Outlaw MXR Practice Bike-*Sold*
    '05 MX National TRX450R-*Sold*
    '05 Practice TRX450R-*Sold*
    '04 Venom MX YFZ-*Sold*
    '05 Lost Creek Cycles YFZ-*Traded for LTR*
    '06 MX LTR-*Sold*

The worst part about the Outlaw will be all the Polaris haters, like the first reply. Anyone who's had first had experience will tell you how impressive of a machine they are. I'm not biased, as I've owned the Z400, TRX450r, LTR450 and KFX450.

The MXR will be the fastest out of the bikes your looking at. With just a slip on, no airbox lid and properly jetted, it makes serious power. The biggest issue with the Outlaw is the lack of aftermarket support, and even less used parts available. I had the same problem with the KFX, but the Outlaw is worse.

I started making/fabbing my own mods. If you can do that, it's even cheaper to mod than buying used parts for a Honda. The Outlaw is also easier to work on than any of the FI bikes I've owned, by far. The only bike comparably easy was the TRX kicker. Reverse is handy to have, and it doesn't take much for the MXR to be a serious contender. As far as common "issues", I don't think there are any. Maybe the common 'bog' with the FCR39MX carb after re-jetting, but mine was cured with the 'o-ring mod'. Goodluck with your decision, and if you want more info, Butter suggest the best site for it.
    '01 Kodiak 4x2 - Sold
    '01 Warrior - Sold
    (2) '03 Z400 - One Sold, One Parted
    '05 TRX450r - Sold
    '07 LTR450 - Sold
    '08 KFX450R - Parted
    '08 450 MXR - Current Project

Originally posted by strubby
    The worst part about the Outlaw will be all the Polaris haters, like the first reply. Anyone who's had first had experience will tell you how impressive of a machine they are. I'm not biased, as I've owned the Z400, TRX450r, LTR450 and KFX450.

The MXR will be the fastest out of the bikes your looking at. With just a slip on, no airbox lid and properly jetted, it makes serious power. The biggest issue with the Outlaw is the lack of aftermarket support, and even less used parts available. I had the same problem with the KFX, but the Outlaw is worse.

I started making/fabbing my own mods. If you can do that, it's even cheaper to mod than buying used parts for a Honda. The Outlaw is also easier to work on than any of the FI bikes I've owned, by far. The only bike comparably easy was the TRX kicker. Reverse is handy to have, and it doesn't take much for the MXR to be a serious contender. As far as common "issues", I don't think there are any. Maybe the common 'bog' with the FCR39MX carb after re-jetting, but mine was cured with the 'o-ring mod'. Goodluck with your decision, and if you want more info, Butter suggest the best site for it.

Did you happen to check my sig? I am currently riding a race built 2010 outlaw 450 mxr. I know first hand everything i said and am a active member on polarisproriders. Dont get me wrong, the motor is great, but i would not buy one again.
    * Spode Freestyler *

Team Spode Racing

Thank you to my sponsors: DWT, Motoworks, Lone Star Racing, Dirt Fiend Racing, Go Pro Cameras, Amsoil, Spy Optics, Motoconcepts, We All Ride Clothing, Leatt Braces, ODI Grips

2004 YFZ450

Originally posted by TheLane
    Did you happen to check my sig? I am currently riding a race built 2010 outlaw 450 mxr. I know first hand everything i said and am a active member on polarisproriders. Dont get me wrong, the motor is great, but i would not buy one again.
    I recognize your s/n. If you're going to talk the OP out of buying an Outlaw, why not tell him what the plagued problems are? I know of no 'plagued' problems, but if you've had problems personally, share with us, so we can learn from your experiences.
    '01 Kodiak 4x2 - Sold
    '01 Warrior - Sold
    '05 TRX450r - Sold
    '07 LTR450 - Sold
    '08 KFX450R - Parted

The design of the entire bike was not done well, as many will say.

IE: most bikes it take 2-3 bolts to get the stem out, and replace it, on the outlaw it takes close to 15 and you have to move the tank.

The regulator rectifier overcharges the battery to a consistant 15v while the bike is running which kills batteries.

It is a linkless swingarm in the rear so it does not preform as well as most other rear ends.

The rear brake rotor sits so close to the swingarm that it is a nightmare to get it off due to the fact that they made it so you have to shift the axle over to get the bolts out.

The motor is metric, the frame is standard.

The tie rod ends constantly come loose due to poor placement of the cotter pin hole.

The platic mounts are cheap, every single one of mine has snapped.

The motor makes a lot of power but requires high maintenence and is tough to work on.

IE: if you need to get into the top end of the motor, you have to break the cam chain and put in a link EVERY time. which = more time for you, or more $$$ to have someone else do it.

The airbox design is single handedly the worst on any sport quad, and robs the motor of air and also doesnt seal very well.
    a mod is required.

ect, ect, ect, ect, ect,ect.

Good enough, or should i go on?
    * Spode Freestyler *

Team Spode Racing

2004 YFZ450

Much better

I agree on many of the things. Fit and finish on the Outlaw is not up to standard of many other 450's. I haven't had any issues with mine, just the annoyances, many that you mentioned. Having owned many other bikes, I'm willing to deal with those and/or correct them. But not everyone can do that. Maybe someone who takes their bike to the shop to get work done/mods installed should choose a more main-stream bike that has countless aftermarket parts to choose from with much R&D. I will never argue that point, but for me, I like the Outlaw's package.
    '01 Kodiak 4x2 - Sold
    '01 Warrior - Sold
    '05 TRX450r - Sold
    '07 LTR450 - Sold
    '08 KFX450R - Parted

Originally posted by strubby
    Much better

I agree on many of the things. Fit and finish on the Outlaw is not up to standard of many other 450's. I haven't had any issues with mine, just the annoyances, many that you mentioned. Having owned many other bikes, I'm willing to deal with those and/or correct them. But not everyone can do that. Maybe someone who takes their bike to the shop to get work done/mods installed should choose a more main-stream bike that has countless aftermarket parts to choose from with much R&D. I will never argue that point, but for me, I like the Outlaw's package.
    Lol, I hear ya, i dont HATE my outlaw, in fact now that i have the majority of the bugs worked out I like it!

But if I could do it again, would i buy the outlaw over something else....no....well.....maybe over a honda, those things dont make piss for power.
    * Spode Freestyler *

Team Spode Racing

2004 YFZ450

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast