I race an '09 450MXR and love it. I have had very few problems with it, and nothing major. It is a little difficult to find some aftermarket parts, but some very good companies support the Outlaw like Rath Racing.

The engine is golden, the chassis is strong, lightweight and well balanced. The suspension is really quite good, I race XC and it works great for that. I am taller, 6'2", and love the ergonomics of the taller bar height. I have plenty of room to move around on the large, flat seat.

Only real drawback is the airbox. Because the rear shock is a no link and stands nearly straight up it limits room for an airbox. There are multiple homemade solutions and modifications of KTM airboxes for the Outlaw. I don't find the stock box too bad, except is a giant step backwards in the ease of service department. I run a stock box without lid and the KTM engine sings a beautiful song at full tilt.

At least the Outlaw doesn't have the electical gremlins of the DS450. And you can find one for cheap if you look around.