Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Have you Decked the cylinder

As long as your piston to bore clearance is ok then use the old piston, otherwise best to tighten it up now while it's apart.
    The numbers look good on the deck height you listed.
    As far as the valves if your going to take them out of the head, check to see if the face is worn where it contacts the seat in the head. If they are I'd replace them with stainless, if not worn lap them back in and fill the chamber with water and look for leaks past the valve seats. If ok your good to go, retorque the head after some break-in time.

440EX4me

You could think about using a high temp silicone for a base gasket. That should decrease the deck height by .010 - .011. I did that acouple weeks ago and haven't seen any problems even after a day of sand racing.

I have not actually measured the bore clearence yet but will tommarrow. I think the valves held up good, and when I was cleaning them out (the exhaust chamber) they did not leak so I may reuse them as this is getting expensive and lots of stuff still coming (ex. suspension, pipes, axle etc)

I did no think about it before but any real boost to do some port work ??????

2slow

How do you like your set up?? Any real difference ??

I do have the .012 cometic which should still save me .008 and that should work fine, I hope

The mating surface on the base does not look perfect and I would be afraid of just using the chem bond stuff.

440EX4me

My setup compared to stock is night and day. My friends keep telling me to leave it alone but I keep nitpicking- throttle response- power delivery- etc. I recently raced a modded banshee in the sand and got beat by 5- 10 lengths in 400-500 ft. Usually depended on my start because he had paddles and I didn't. I rode the banshee and it did have a touch more top end, maybe 3-4 mph. The Shee was ported, piped,carbed, and so on so I thought I did pretty well. It did seem to me that I had to hold 4th longer than normal and 5th seemed to take almost the whole 300-400 ft. to top out. Probably because I was playing catchup all the way! I'm running 92 octane gas and close to 11:1 comp so am wondering if a little better fuel would help? Just ordered a K&N air filter and removed the choke so maybe it will all add up. btw- didn't race any raptors or ds650s (they all left), but nothing stock even came close, even if they had paddles. Oh yea- my daughter kept getting beat by a warrior so I let her ride my 400- she started in 3rd and was at the finish when the warrior was only 3/4 down the track- AND SHE NEVER SHIFTED ONCE
    Sorry about the book, hope this answers your questions?

then you would say the all around cam worked well with your set up. It seems that you still have the bottom end "She beat the warrior in third gear and never shifted" but how is the mid to top.

I am intending on re assembling with the stock cam for comparison of the current mods and then add the cam in few weeks but still have not decided on which one.

Matt fischer had made a interesting rec of the web 479 as it should keep the bottom and help the mid and top a little also. I am still waiting to check out the wb cams but am sure they are just some one elses anyhow.

I would guess that the type of riding you do would make the cam decision a little easier. I've got a stock bore and the wb all-around cam seems to have been a good choice. Great bottom and mid with a little better top end. I personally would go with a bigger cam than this on a 440 especially if you want top end.

Matt Fisher seems to have checked it all out and I would look for a cam in that range myself if I had a 440.

Re: THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE VERY UGLY

Originally posted by 440EX4me
    Well it is truely a J&E flat top piston in there and it was looking like it was in pretty good condition.
    Interesting, I kinda thought the JE stuff would have a dome..

The really ugly part is that the piston is stiing down in the cyl .028-.035" and I need to know if this variance is good. It has worried me and I am going to check the cyl for any warpage etc. I only have a good set of calipers for measuring but I know that my measurements are not off by .007" maybe a couple thou but not that much.[/QUOTE]

powerslider had it correct- measure above the wrist pins.

Matts original "senior moment" about the stock gaskets was correct. When the last guy put it back together he used a stk 85mm head gasket, I am not sure how much trouble this could have caused as the dome inside the head looks about the same size anyhow. (should this be machined to match the sleeve??)[/QUOTE]

Oddly enough, when Patrick B was assembling his 440, he called GT Thunder twice about the stock gasket being in the cylinder- they said that's how they do it! So is it a flattop or a dome? As long as nothing's been hitting, it probably didn't damage anything. Just use the correct 89mm gaskets when re-assembling.

The rings look and measure up fine and the cylinder was looking good except for a small section of scratches at the bottm of the cyl on the back (looks like a little bit of piston slap) I have not speced up the pin yet but there were no signs of wear or problems. This was a little suprising as the piston really looked good like it was only in use for a short time. Maybe I am just used to the auto stuff whre there wrecked.[/QUOTE]

Make certain that the cases aren't touching the sleeve. You may need to grind a bit to make certain there's clearance. When the steel sleeve expands, it can push on the aluminum cases, causing a hot spot at the bottom of the bore. Wala- additional wear or a broken piston (right, Patrick?).

My question is what do I do for a measurement to deck the cylinder. [/QUOTE]

You math in the other post looked good.

Some interesting notes-

I looked at my Web 450/451 cam closely, and there's some minor wear on 3 lobes. The lobe closest to the sprocket has no wear, however.

I believe this is because the oil is slightly cooler there. This lends creadence to Mickey Dunlap's theory of rocker arm wear. Although I'm going to use a rather large cooler I already have, I will most certainly be utilizing his idea for getting cooler oil to the cam. An even better test will be on my friend's bike- he'll be using a Web 479 cam with heavier springs, and the original 1999 rocker arms.

My gut tells me that I'll be recommending his oil cooler frequently to 400EX pilots.

I got my cylinder back today, will take measurements soon regarding piston height, etc. No CR measurements for a week or so- I dropped the head off for port work. For some reason, I'm
    guessing that I'll need to deck the cylinder just a bit and also shave the piston's top in order to get 11:1 with a squish of .040. I hope not, we'll see.

When both our bikes are finally together, I will have a comparison of the 450/451 vs. the 479 cam- everthing else on our motors will be the same.

440EX4me- I'm not sure who makes the WB all-around cam, but thier Track cam is the Web 450/451. Assuming you get a large enough cam, I'm betting you'll see a massive difference in power- maybe even more than when you went stock to 440. The 479 will not have as much bottom end as the WB all-around, but will have much more top-end. No free lunches out there. In any case, it'll be interesting to hear the results of the cam.

Hey Matt.. Just for the record, my "off the shelf" JE 87mm piston is domed - VERY similarly to the Ross we got....

It's advertised as the 10.8:1 piston.

Matt Fisher

I noticed the exact same wear pattern on my cam the other day, didn't think much about it. Now I'm seriously thinking about FSTs larger oil cooler. $ Thanks!

Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast