Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pro Design Cool Head

Pro Design Cool Head

I see that Pro Design makes a cool head with head stay and without head stay for the 250r. The 250r I purchased has the one without. Would this hurt anything? Why do they make one without head stay, wouldn't the motor vibrate more? I have a 310 motor, If I pick up a stock cap will it work on the 310? Confused right now!!

Thanks for any input
    Parting out
    02 Cannondale withsome mods

I don't know why they did that. Whoever decided to make a head with no head stay should have there *** beat on the general principle. On the R the motor is a critical part in keeping the frame from twisting and cracking.

THe stock head will not bolt on and work. It would need to be rechambered to fit and I still don't think that would work. On my 295 after being rechambered it there was not much room. I don't thing there is suficent space to rechamber it for a 310 without it blowing head gaskets like there is no tommorow. Check ebay for another cool head.
    I need to ride $@%! bad o-meter
    l1l2l3l4l5l6l7l8l9l10
    -----------------^----

01' 445EX
    86' 250R(for sale)
    Salem Honda/BMW/Ducati
    Countryside Fabrication

ELMO KNOWS WHERE YOU LIVE

As long as the bracket is there across the frame rails , I would not worry about it !! It is not that big af a deal! No reason to hurt anyone over it !! You will have no problems!!

Jim

Just my opinion bro.

I have seen to many R frames cracked cause of no head stay.
    I need to ride $@%! bad o-meter
    l1l2l3l4l5l6l7l8l9l10
    -----------------^----

01' 445EX
    86' 250R(for sale)
    Salem Honda/BMW/Ducati
    Countryside Fabrication

ELMO KNOWS WHERE YOU LIVE

You're better off to run the head stay...

Why do you think Honda took the effort to put it there to start with? It sure wasn't to add the extra weight of a bracket, 5 bolts, and a nut...

I agree with airheadduner, the motor is a major structural component in the R, and it does help support and tie the frame together. No head stay = much more flex in your frame.

I have a cool head with the head stay, and the only bummer is you still must use a head gasket with it, they don't make it in the o-ring style. That is not really a big deal, though, since the o-rings aren't much cheaper than a head gasket anyways.
    Bryan

First off if you have a 310 then call LRD and get a cool head that is designed for big bore kits. Also sometimes people get cool heads with out head stays because they have had engine work done that changes the height of the jug and causes the head stay to not fit. I beleive that the head stay is important and i would never order one without it.

~Roost-U
    1985 ATC 250r
    Ported & Polished,
    LRD/Pro Design Cool Head with 20cc dome
    RAD Valve
    FMF Fatty/Power Core
    K&N w/ Outerwear (for the dunes) Uni for everything else
    +2.5 swingarm
    +4 axle
    Desert Tank
    Shreders
    PB Block Off
    Full PRM Skid plates
    Turbo GSXR 750 Motor going into something....something FAST!
    When they ask why I unloaded both clips on the guy, my reply "I was scared"

Question Head stay....

This quote is directly from Duncan Racing: "Duncan Racing recommends model without headstay because it reduces stress on cylinder and frame while allowing engine to rev a little freer". I was wondering which one to purchase myself.

You guys think too much !! I do run the head stay on my current 89 pv 370, but I have run without one many times with no problem! I have also heard about the less stress thing ...

If my new quad had no head stay on the cool head ,I would no way spend money to put one back.....

Jim

Thumbs up Head stay....

You can't just put the head stay back on. I'm not sure if you know that the stay is part of the head. I think you do. The cool head is one piece. (except for the domes) The head either has a head stay or it doesn't. You're right, I do think too much. I like the idea of having the head stay on there.
    Last edited by CHAR250R; 03-03-2003 at 06:23 PM.

ive herd many people cracking frame without running headstays. i always ran mine on my R.....
    '04 YFZ SOLD
    '86 250R SOLD

'07 CRF25OR. Yoshi carbon dual pipe.

Quadless, new hobby: Lift till tommrow

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast