Thread: Uncertain about the play in my rear dif (08 525 IRS)

Uncertain about the play in my rear dif (08 525 IRS)

After installing some new rear, inner CV boots on my 08 525 IRS I noticed some play within the differential. The play may be normal and is the reason why I'm writing this thread.

If I grab the brake rotor and the rear sprocket the whole carrier moves about a quarter inch each way. Now this is nothing I had to take apart to install the boots but I just happen to notice the play after I got it all back together.

Basically I'm just wondering if the play is normall. Or if not; what is it that has worn down to create the movement.
    Thanks guys.
    ouTLaw 525 IRS

with the IRS a little play is common, however not a quarter inch, that seems a bit much.

It could be a number of things, mainly the bearings or the carrier, or just the bushings. Either way its an easy fix. Buy yourself a service manual and just rip it apart. It should be painfully obvious what the problem is once you get in there.
    * Spode Freestyler *

Team Spode Racing

Thank you to my sponsors: DWT, Motoworks, Lone Star Racing, Dirt Fiend Racing, Go Pro Cameras, Amsoil, Spy Optics, Motoconcepts, We All Ride Clothing, Leatt Braces, ODI Grips

2004 YFZ450