Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Motoworks exhaust repacking?

What kind of tape should I use? And should I tape all of packing once I slid it on? Won't the tape melt and then not do anything? Lol
    2004 (XC) 400ex
    416 Bore<x>P&P<x>11:1 Wiesco Piston<x>Sparks Racing Rev Box<x>Main-175 Pilot-52 Screw:3.5 turns out<x>Pro taper fat bars<x>Houser stem and Clamp<x>Pro armor killswitch<x>Powermadd handguards<x>450r shocks<x>Motoworks Exhaust<x>Lonestar dual carrier<x>G force axle<x>GTT+2 XC A Arms<x>ITP baja chrome wheels<x>RAZR II Tires<x>Pro Armor Fat Peg Nerf Bars<x>over sized oil tank<x>AC racing bumper<x>Galfer wave rotors<x>Uni Filter<x>Pro Armor Skid plates<x>Sparks +6 timing key<x>ODI Rogue grips

Originally posted by quadmanw
    What kind of tape should I use? And should I tape all of packing once I slid it on? Won't the tape melt and then not do anything? Lol
    That's the point. You want to get as much packing wrapped around the core as you can and still have it fit inside the canister, that's what the tape is for, to hold it all tight. Then once you get it all back together and you get it warm enough the tape burns up and the packing automatically expands and is the shape of your pipe.
    2002 Ford Ranger (Red, Westin Brush Guard, K&N CAI, Clearance Lights, couple other little things)
    2012 RAM Power Wagon (Black, Line X, Weathertech, Cover King, Flowmaster, Tinted, DiabloSport Trinity, Rertro Shop Custom Headlights, Leveled)
    2006 450R (MX/Dune/QFMX Machine)
    2005 407EX (XC, GNCC, Harescramble Machine, Not much left that's stock, PICS)

R.I.P. Caleb Moore, you will not be forgotten.
    R.I.P. Tyler Saxton, I'll never forget you bud.

A buddy of mine used electrical tape when he did his. I use packing tape (like packing boxes, not to be confused with a non-existent tape for packing pipes lol). Really anything that melts up quickly. Obviously duct tape or something like that might not burn off and do what you want.

But yeah the idea is to pack the pipe with layers of packing and tape so you get it as tight as possible. Then the tape burns off and the packing tries to expand but it's extremely tight so it fills the canister to it's maximum. This makes it so there's no space for the exhaust to escape into the canister and instead it flows straight through the core and out the exhaust pipe. If you pack it by just wrapping packing around the core and using a piece or two of tape to wrap it on like most videos show, it isn't bad for it. This way just boosts performance even more. Either way I think electrical tape might be the best option.

And to clarify you're not doing it like it shows in videos. Wrap a piece on, tighten it down by WRAPPING IT TIGHTLY AND COVERING ALL OF THE PACKING, then repeat until no longer necessary. I really emphasize that part because you can't wrap the ends and center you have to wrap all of the way around and cover the whole piece of packing. If my packing wasn't fresh I do mine and upload pics :/
    High RPM Motocross - Trippin Rev Limiters since 2010

2006 Trx450er - White Brothers Aluminum Pro Full Exhaust * Sedona Bazooka Tires * Tusk Nerf Bars * DG Grab Bar * Magura Handlebars * More To Come!

RIP 400ex

Alright I understand it fully now. Not too hard. I just have to buy packing that's not a sleeve. I think motoworks packing is a sleeve
    2004 (XC) 400ex
    416 Bore<x>P&P<x>11:1 Wiesco Piston<x>Sparks Racing Rev Box<x>Main-175 Pilot-52 Screw:3.5 turns out<x>Pro taper fat bars<x>Houser stem and Clamp<x>Pro armor killswitch<x>Powermadd handguards<x>450r shocks<x>Motoworks Exhaust<x>Lonestar dual carrier<x>G force axle<x>GTT+2 XC A Arms<x>ITP baja chrome wheels<x>RAZR II Tires<x>Pro Armor Fat Peg Nerf Bars<x>over sized oil tank<x>AC racing bumper<x>Galfer wave rotors<x>Uni Filter<x>Pro Armor Skid plates<x>Sparks +6 timing key<x>ODI Rogue grips

Yeah it looks that way to me too, we usually just buy the FMF stuff you find at dealerships, it's all basically the same material.

2006 Trx450er - White Brothers Aluminum Pro Full Exhaust * Sedona Bazooka Tires * Tusk Nerf Bars * DG Grab Bar * Magura Handlebars * More To Come!

RIP 400ex

Really not trying to be a jerk but I highly doubt this amazing tape wrap job and getting a little extra packing in the silencer makes much if any difference. Certainly, a stock 450 with miracle packing isn't going to make more power than a modified 450? That's just silly, but certainly worlds greatest supercross mechanics may have magic packing so they don't have to do expensive engine work to modify the bike.

I would love to see some dyno runs to prove me wrong. I would bet a packing job there is little to no difference.

If motoworks makes a kit specific for your silencer and the cost is reasonable I would do that.
    02 400ex, White Bros. Exhaust, K&N.

Well for one his stock Kawi silencer has a dB rating of 108 now so it obviously is doing something there. All they did was jet it and modify the pipe like that. He won the 450 B class at Washougal, 2-1 scores, and killed every other 450 going up Horsepower Hill.

RIP 400ex

Really wasn't trying to call anyone out or be a jerk. It certainly could help the dB score.

I guess I can save my money and not buy a cam, high comp piston, or get porting done. I will just pack my silencer really tight and go make fools of everyone.

You certain your buddies win didn't have more to do with great suspension setup, better tire selection, picking good lines, proper jetting, and great skills? Than how tight he packed his muffler?

I certainly could be totally wrong, it happens quite often. I guess until Myth Busters runs a show on this we will never know.
    02 400ex, White Bros. Exhaust, K&N.

Originally posted by duneslider

If motoworks makes a kit specific for your silencer and the cost is reasonable I would do that.
    X2...Would also bet the Motoworks would last longer.
    2007 TRX400EX Sold & missed!
    2014 Polaris Sportsman 570 (awesome 4x4 quad)

I am certain. If you've ever seen horsepower hill before then you'd know it's an all out drag race up the hill. His bike has two mods done, jetting and silencer packing, that way he's also the fastest in stock class.

I'd still buy the kit for the rivets and stuff but packing is packing... Ive never heard of some kind of special packing before.

And it really does have an impact, it's like straight piping your quad/dirtbike and letting the flow reach it's maximum. There's evidence that shows with the right jetting you can get more out of a straight pipe, so if that's not enough proof I'll have to do it and go get a dyno.

RIP 400ex

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12