Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Motoworks exhaust repacking?

Motoworks exhaust repacking?

Anyone ever repack a Motoworks exhaust? it has revits so i dno how that would be done..
    2004 (XC) 400ex
    416 Bore<x>P&P<x>11:1 Wiesco Piston<x>Sparks Racing Rev Box<x>Main-175 Pilot-52 Screw:3.5 turns out<x>Pro taper fat bars<x>Houser stem and Clamp<x>Pro armor killswitch<x>Powermadd handguards<x>450r shocks<x>Motoworks Exhaust<x>Lonestar dual carrier<x>G force axle<x>GTT+2 XC A Arms<x>ITP baja chrome wheels<x>RAZR II Tires<x>Pro Armor Fat Peg Nerf Bars<x>over sized oil tank<x>AC racing bumper<x>Galfer wave rotors<x>Uni Filter<x>Pro Armor Skid plates<x>Sparks +6 timing key<x>ODI Rogue grips

Drill the rivets out
    02 400ex, White Bros. Exhaust, K&N.

I GUARANTEE you if you email them they will guide you in the right direction. I've been working with them for awhile and they're really on top of customer service. DONT DRILL THEM OUT. Idiot did that to the Pro Circuit pipe I used to have and the end cap was never as tight as it was from factory.

My guess, because I haven't done mine or looked at it, would be that you unscrew the back of the end cap (Three bolts), then look at the part of the can near the headpipe and those will probably be allen heads not rivets. Take those off and gently separate that from the headpipe, which is also attached to the core. It should slide off leaving the remains of the packing and the core behind.

Finally when you do figure all that out and get ready to repack, any packing will do really. The best thing I can tell you is to get some form of tape that melts really easily, put the packing on the core and wrap the tape around it to get the packing AS TIGHT as you can, do this over and over until it's enough to fill the inside of the can. When you put it all back together and run the bike the tape will burn off and your pipe will be extremely tightly packed. A friend of mine has a ex-supercross mechanic from factory Kawasaki that does this to his stock pipe and his bike kills all the modded 450's he races against, plus it lasts a lot longer.
    High RPM Motocross - Trippin Rev Limiters since 2010

2006 Trx450er - White Brothers Aluminum Pro Full Exhaust * Sedona Bazooka Tires * Tusk Nerf Bars * DG Grab Bar * Magura Handlebars * More To Come!

RIP 400ex

Many exhaust do come with only rivets. Obviously, if it has the small Allen screws you don't want to drill them. If you do have rivets you can drill them out, tap the holes, and install some stainless button head screws.

Rockymountainatv has a great video tutorial on repacking. I personally use masking tape to hold the packing together.
    02 400ex, White Bros. Exhaust, K&N.

Originally posted by duneslider
    Many exhaust do come with only rivets. Obviously, if it has the small Allen screws you don't want to drill them. If you do have rivets you can drill them out, tap the holes, and install some stainless button head screws.

Rockymountainatv has a great video tutorial on repacking. I personally use masking tape to hold the packing together.
    Yep, the FMF on my dirt bike needed to have the rivets drilled out and then replaced with screws......if there are no screws there already, it will need to be drilled....just be sure and use a bit that's as small as possible while still being able to drill out the center of the rivet...too big of a bit and the pipe will be screwed up

Its really pretty easy once you have done it once

The repack kit from Motoworks comes with new rivets and the bands the rivets go through. It's real simple.http://www.motoworks.com/catalog/pro...roducts_id=193
    2007 TRX400EX Sold & missed!
    2014 Polaris Sportsman 570 (awesome 4x4 quad)

^See no need to mess with it and rig something together!

2006 Trx450er - White Brothers Aluminum Pro Full Exhaust * Sedona Bazooka Tires * Tusk Nerf Bars * DG Grab Bar * Magura Handlebars * More To Come!

RIP 400ex

so just get the motoworks packing and rivets and drill the old ones out gently repack it, use tape and then put the new rivets in, pretty much
    2004 (XC) 400ex
    416 Bore<x>P&P<x>11:1 Wiesco Piston<x>Sparks Racing Rev Box<x>Main-175 Pilot-52 Screw:3.5 turns out<x>Pro taper fat bars<x>Houser stem and Clamp<x>Pro armor killswitch<x>Powermadd handguards<x>450r shocks<x>Motoworks Exhaust<x>Lonestar dual carrier<x>G force axle<x>GTT+2 XC A Arms<x>ITP baja chrome wheels<x>RAZR II Tires<x>Pro Armor Fat Peg Nerf Bars<x>over sized oil tank<x>AC racing bumper<x>Galfer wave rotors<x>Uni Filter<x>Pro Armor Skid plates<x>Sparks +6 timing key<x>ODI Rogue grips

You won't need tape. Just slide the new packing over the insert. If you get the Motoworks kit, it'll have directions. Only extra thing you will need is some rtv silicone to seal the mid-pipe end.
    2007 TRX400EX Sold & missed!
    2014 Polaris Sportsman 570 (awesome 4x4 quad)

You won't need tape.
    You don't "need" tape but it makes the power increase oooohhhh so much sweeter! Plus it sounds great. Basically what it does is straight pipe it cause the packing is so tight but it still muffles the sound, just not the flow of the exhaust. trust me it's beastly, here's what my friends Kx450f sounds like after he did that type of packing, it sounds distorted in the video because it's so loud but it's really crisp in person.

RIP 400ex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast