Thread: Airbox Snorkel Filter

Airbox Snorkel Filter

I'm gunna put some kind of filter on the end of my snorkel when I put my airbox and everything back on my quad. And I was just going to order a replacement for my K&N and then chop up the old one to fit. But I did a little searching and found this on the Outwerwears site: http://outerwears.com/proddetail.asp?prod=4847 I'm wondering if this is a filter that they made specifically for that. I'm gonna have to go get a measurement of the snorkel's diameter, but I'm hoping this is what I think it is. Anybody got any comments? I would do panty hose like some people suggest, but I want it to repel some water also.
    2002 Ford Ranger (Red, Westin Brush Guard, K&N CAI, Clearance Lights, couple other little things)
    2012 RAM Power Wagon (Black, Line X, Weathertech, Cover King, Flowmaster, Tinted, DiabloSport Trinity, Rertro Shop Custom Headlights, Leveled)
    2006 450R (MX/Dune/QFMX Machine)
    2005 407EX (XC, GNCC, Harescramble Machine, Not much left that's stock, PICS)

R.I.P. Caleb Moore, you will not be forgotten.
    R.I.P. Tyler Saxton, I'll never forget you bud.

Why would restrict airflow even more than it already is?? They didn't put one on it from factory for a reason.
    2000 Honda TRX400EX ( MX Setup )
    2006 Suzuki LTR450 ( Stock )
    1986 Suzuki LT-250R ( Stock )
    2001 Kawasaki KX250 ( MX Setup )
    2004 Kawasaki KX85 ( Playin Bike )
    199? Yamaha PW80 ( Pit Bike )
    2003 Polaris Trail Boss 330
    1996 Kawasaki Bayou 220

Proud owner of more than 38 internal combustion engines!!!

Support our troops and we will support you!!! HOOAH!!!

Assist, Protect, Defend!!! Military Police!!

Well if you have an open airbox then Id say its worth it. I know it helped reduce the sand that gets in even with the outwears airbox lid I use. Course I use the pantyhose-free mod lol.

I tried it on a friends stock setup and it restricted it a bit to much.
    If it's stupid, and it works, it isn't stupid. - Murphy's Law
    2000 426EX,sold
    2004 450R WIP
    -Longtime A.A.D.S. (Accessory Acquisition Disorder Syndrome) sufferer.
    400EX Frequently Asked Questions, CHECK HERE FIRST!

I didn't think it would make that much of a difference. I may not run it all the time then. I was mainly wanting to run it because of the water. I ride in creeks every now and then and if I hit a deep hole it forces water into the snorkel and drowns in out for a second, then I'm stuck with a bogged out wheeler in a water hole. It'd be nice to have it as a secondary filter too, but I don't want to bog down the engine anymore than I have to. Anybody have another suggestion for my problem with the water? Maybe a baffle of some kind on the end of the snorkel to break it up before it enters?
    2002 Ford Ranger (Red, Westin Brush Guard, K&N CAI, Clearance Lights, couple other little things)
    2012 RAM Power Wagon (Black, Line X, Weathertech, Cover King, Flowmaster, Tinted, DiabloSport Trinity, Rertro Shop Custom Headlights, Leveled)

outwears lid and plug the snorkel. or make your own snorkel and reroute it higher somewhere on the bike.
    If it's stupid, and it works, it isn't stupid. - Murphy's Law
    2000 426EX,sold
    2004 450R WIP
    -Longtime A.A.D.S. (Accessory Acquisition Disorder Syndrome) sufferer.
    400EX Frequently Asked Questions, CHECK HERE FIRST!

I have a powerlid and k&n filter w outerwears if you go that route.
    2006 450ER black.HRC,Acerbis,Pro-Taper,Pro-Armour,DG,K&N,Pro-moto intake,ITP,Tusk,Skat-Trak,Maxxis,Dunlop..to many tires
    2002 cr250 FMF turbine core 2+Gnarly,Uni/Maxima,Steahly FWW,Works Connection rad braces,Cycra pro-bends,Plastic bash plate
    2000 XR50 TAG,Red Baron,TB
    400ex,400ex,500 Rubicon.
    BLOOD, SWEAT, AND GEARS

I would put an outerswear on your snorkel and here is why. I did that to my banshee before a XC race figuring that it would be extra protection during muddy races. It ran great when I was warming it up, until I rode it to the starting line. It felt like I had a spark plug fouled. I hurried back and changed the plugs and bearely made it back for the start of the race. The flag dropped and it just puked out and would barely go. I sat there all pissed off and realized after about 10 minutes that maybe the outerwears was the issue. I took it off and it ran perfect. Believe it or not I came all the way back and got 2nd place after spotting the whole field 10 minutes. Anyway....dont put an outerwears over your snorkel. I run the EHS lid and love it. I put an outerwears over the filter and have never sucked in any water. I have been in water so deep you would not believe it and it has worked flawlessly.
    1988 Honda 250R
    2007 Honda 250EX wife's quad
    2000 400EX
    Sponsors:
    Moose Racing
    Velocity Filters
    Motoworks Exhaust
    Lone Star Racing
    EHS Racing
    Pro Armor
    Cycra
    Smith

Yeah, I think I'm gunna try panty hose and see what that does. Then get an EHS lid whenever I get around to it this summer. Thanks.