Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 06 Outlaw 500 -- bogging/popping problems

06 Outlaw 500 -- bogging/popping problems

My bike has been sitting for a while, so I decided to start it up and get it ready, planning on taking it out end of January.

Anyway --I filled the tank up with new gas, the bike started after a couple minutes of trying and idled fine, but when I go more than half way on the throttle it starts to pop/bog and wants to die... if I hold the gas down it'll just bog and pop and no acceleration.

I changed the plug, took the carb apart and checked the 3 Jets that are accessible, I still never drilled out the brass cap over the idle jet?... anyway, the jets I checked seemed OK, should I have soaked them in something...

where else should I look, or do..?

Thanks.
    + 2006 Polaris Outlaw 500 -- [HMF Slip-On, White Bros. Filter, PRM 6 Pack Rack, 165 main jet]
    + 1996 Honda 300ex -- [stock]

www.biker-glasses.com

one thing i would check first is your fuel air mixture screw, make sure its not fully seated otherwise you are robbing your motor of fuel/air.

also you most definitely should have soaked the jets in carb cleaner. Just because they look ok doesnt mean they dont have buildup of old gas in them.

The spark plug and the jets are really the only other thing that could cause that.

in fact, if you can get around to it, while you have it apart you should make sure that you completely clean the entire carb.
    * Spode Freestyler *

Team Spode Racing

Thank you to my sponsors: DWT, Motoworks, Lone Star Racing, Dirt Fiend Racing, Go Pro Cameras, Amsoil, Spy Optics, Motoconcepts, We All Ride Clothing, Leatt Braces, ODI Grips

2004 YFZ450

never really cleaned a carb before, what do I do, besides soaking the jets, do I just spray carb cleaner in there and let it sit?
    + 2006 Polaris Outlaw 500 -- [HMF Slip-On, White Bros. Filter, PRM 6 Pack Rack, 165 main jet]

www.biker-glasses.com

This is something i would definitely google. there are step by step instructions that would do a much better job then what i could type up for ya .

you tube has some good stuff as well.
    * Spode Freestyler *

Team Spode Racing

Thank you to my sponsors: DWT, Motoworks, Lone Star Racing, Dirt Fiend Racing, Go Pro Cameras, Amsoil, Spy Optics, Motoconcepts, We All Ride Clothing, Leatt Braces, ODI Grips

2004 YFZ450

took carb apart, sprayed jets with carb cleaner, blew out with air compressor.. still runs the same... where else should I look?

www.biker-glasses.com

you jest may be too lead try a larger main jet if that does not work have the valves check
    SFC RET
    06 Outlaw
    07 540 Outlaw
    00 DS730

would the jet change if I've been running this jet for years now?

and the valves would give symptoms like this?

www.biker-glasses.com

all so check for air leak around carb
    SFC RET
    06 Outlaw
    07 540 Outlaw
    00 DS730

I never mentioned, which maybe I should've, but didn't think it mattered, is my battery is dead so I've been starting off jump box.

Also, I noticed that when I start the bike I was able to rev it out without bogging, but once in gear and riding is when it bogs... ?? weird

www.biker-glasses.com

jump starting shouldnt have an impact. And yes valves most definitely can cause symptoms like that.

If your valves are not opening and closing right you could have your intake and exhaust cycles going on at the wrong time robbing you of your power and causing popping/backfiring.
    * Spode Freestyler *

Team Spode Racing

2004 YFZ450

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast