Thread: Question for Outlaw guys

Question for Outlaw guys

I found a 2008 Polaris 450 Outlaw MXR thats new still at a dealership. I did some research and found an issue with fenders cracking. Can anyone tell me if this is very common, and eventually will the fenders crack? I really like the looks of the Outlaw, and am considering it over a 700 Raptor I had my eye on. I'd just hate to buy a quad then have to replace plastic on it.

Yes. The rear plastics have problems cracking. But it also depends on how you ride. If you ride smooth, they should last a while. But if you ride hard, they are going to be stressed.
    2008 Can Am DS450
    PRM Baja Bumper and Skid

2007 Honda Rincon 680
    Fuel Injected
    ITP Mudlites
    Hopefully some more goodies soon

1986 Honda ATC 250SX
    Knobby tires all-round
    otherwise.................... STOCK

The composition of the plastic on the Outlaw seems to be harder and more brittle than Yamaha plastic. I owned a Raptor 700 and currently own an '09 Outlaw. The Outlaw plastic hasn't been a problem yet, but I can see that it is stressed at several mounting points.
    '09 Polaris Outlaw 450 MXR XC Racer
    2010 35+B Class Champion

Originally posted by ccdhowell
    The composition of the plastic on the Outlaw seems to be harder and more brittle than Yamaha plastic. I owned a Raptor 700 and currently own an '09 Outlaw. The Outlaw plastic hasn't been a problem yet, but I can see that it is stressed at several mounting points.
    how do you think the two machines compare?

ive owned both as well,

The big problems i ran into with the outlaw was the heel guard mount for the plastics breaking right away. so i just rebuilt them with aliuminum.

and then of course every time ive flipped the bike ive found new breaks in the plastics....but i guess thats not too harsh to expect when your quad goes cartwheeling

and as far as how the two stack up....depends on what your doing, i bought mine to get into MX riding and will never ever ever ever ever go back to a raptor...(but then again ill never buy an outlaw either...ill be buying a jap 450 next)

The main problem i have run into with the outlaws is that the design of some of the parts was just not done with maintenance in mind.

IE - how hard it is the get the rear axle out; how hard it is to get the steering stem out; every time you need to get in the top end of the motor you have to break the cam chain. ect.

its a good bike with a lot of power and if you have the patience to understand that 10 minute jobs on other bikes are 1hr jobs on the outlaw, youll be happy.

(PS i hope your tall, the distance between seat and footpegs is really long in comparison to other bikes)
    * Spode Freestyler *

Team Spode Racing

Thank you to my sponsors: DWT, Motoworks, Lone Star Racing, Dirt Fiend Racing, Go Pro Cameras, Amsoil, Spy Optics, Motoconcepts, We All Ride Clothing, Leatt Braces, ODI Grips

2004 YFZ450

Originally posted by TheLane
    ive owned both as well,

The big problems i ran into with the outlaw was the heel guard mount for the plastics breaking right away. so i just rebuilt them with aliuminum.

and then of course every time ive flipped the bike ive found new breaks in the plastics....but i guess thats not too harsh to expect when your quad goes cartwheeling

and as far as how the two stack up....depends on what your doing, i bought mine to get into MX riding and will never ever ever ever ever go back to a raptor...(but then again ill never buy an outlaw either...ill be buying a jap 450 next)

The main problem i have run into with the outlaws is that the design of some of the parts was just not done with maintenance in mind.

IE - how hard it is the get the rear axle out; how hard it is to get the steering stem out; every time you need to get in the top end of the motor you have to break the cam chain. ect.

its a good bike with a lot of power and if you have the patience to understand that 10 minute jobs on other bikes are 1hr jobs on the outlaw, youll be happy.

(PS i hope your tall, the distance between seat and footpegs is really long in comparison to other bikes)
    Well I am mainly just a fast trail rider, I dont do much mx. I was going to get the Raptor, but I can get a much better deal on the Outlaw. I am 6'0 tall as well.

Originally posted by RNL
    how do you think the two machines compare?
    I bought the Raptor to race XC and modified it accordingly. It was super fast in the woods and nothing could touch it in the open, but it would totally wear me out to race it, to the point that it wasn't so fun anymore. It may have been a combination of lots of available power and torque and it's higher center of gravity.

Now the Outlaw is a much better woods racer, much more agile in the woods and the KTM powerplant has plenty of power but not blowing away other 450s like the Raptor did. The two ride differently, you can be lazy on the Raptor with gear changes and the engine will pull a higher gear out of corners. The Outlaw will turn faster and rev much quicker.

I'm a tall buy at 6'2" and found both to be comfortable after raising the bars on each about 2 inches. I can move better on the Outlaw.

I don't mind the few quirky things on the Outlaw and think the chassis is better than the Raptor. If I could get the Outlaw for a better price, that would be my choice.
    '09 Polaris Outlaw 450 MXR XC Racer
    2010 35+B Class Champion

Originally posted by ccdhowell
    I bought the Raptor to race XC and modified it accordingly. It was super fast in the woods and nothing could touch it in the open, but it would totally wear me out to race it, to the point that it wasn't so fun anymore. It may have been a combination of lots of available power and torque and it's higher center of gravity.

Now the Outlaw is a much better woods racer, much more agile in the woods and the KTM powerplant has plenty of power but not blowing away other 450s like the Raptor did. The two ride differently, you can be lazy on the Raptor with gear changes and the engine will pull a higher gear out of corners. The Outlaw will turn faster and rev much quicker.

I'm a tall buy at 6'2" and found both to be comfortable after raising the bars on each about 2 inches. I can move better on the Outlaw.

I don't mind the few quirky things on the Outlaw and think the chassis is better than the Raptor. If I could get the Outlaw for a better price, that would be my choice.

Not being a racer, the Rappy probably is the logical choice. But I want something lightweight really, and want something that accelrates hard. I think the Outlaws are really cool looking, despite what others seem to think.

I think your better off with the outlaw, its a lot lighter and easier to throw around if you are a woods rider. If you were a duner id say the raptor, but to his point, the center of gravity is so high + being extremely heavy makes it tiring to own.

between the 2, hands down the outlaw.
    * Spode Freestyler *

Team Spode Racing

Thank you to my sponsors: DWT, Motoworks, Lone Star Racing, Dirt Fiend Racing, Go Pro Cameras, Amsoil, Spy Optics, Motoconcepts, We All Ride Clothing, Leatt Braces, ODI Grips

2004 YFZ450

Thanks everyone for the comments. i just read a old shootout where the Outlaw was the second fastest accelerating 450, only to its KTM cousin. Sounds like with a Rath intake and a pipe they really snort!!!