Thread: new tires 4 ply vs 6 ply thoughts?

new tires 4 ply vs 6 ply thoughts?

do any of you guys notice the difference in weight or durability in a 4 ply tire vs a 6 ply?
    im looking at some gbc x-rex tires and the price on them is great .
    2008 DS450
    Pink wire cut
    Rossier Intake
    Motorworks SlipOn
    BCS Clutch Basket
    BCS Frame Reinforcement Kit
    BCS Grunge Graphics Kit
    X Package Nerf Bars and Bumper
    09 Headlights
    Pro Armor Frame and Swingarm Skids
    Engine Ice

I found a bit of a weight difference, what kind of riding are you doing? If your doing alot of hard trail riding and alot of trail breaking then def go with 6.
    2007 400ex -
    Pro Circuit T-4 Slip-On, Pro Armour Nerfs, UNI Air Filter, K&N PowerLid, PowerMadd Handguards, 155 Main, 42 Pilot, YFZ450 Front Shocks, Shock Pros CDN Flag Front Shock Covers, Shaved Front Fenders, Moose MXR Rear Brake Rotor, NGK Spark Plug, 20" ITP Holeshot XCR's in Rear, ODI Rogue Lock-On Grips, ROX Billet Handguard Mounts, Factory FX Glass Grip Donuts, DG Sport Bumper, Pro-Taper SE ATV High Bend Handlebars, ROX Dash, DP Brake Pads, DG Baja Series Swing Arm Skid Plate

2001 300ex-
    FMF PowerCore 4, FMF Hi-Flow Headpipe, Kimpex 14T Front Sprocket, Kimpex 38T Rear Sprocket, All Balls Carrier Barrings , Kimpex Chain, Scott Grips, UNI Air Filter, Homemade Long/Wide Grab Bar, NHC Kevlar Rear Brake Pad, 22" Maxxis Razrs on Rear

'84 Suzuki lt125
    '07 Daymak 125 -Paid 80, sold 450
    '77 Kawisaki KM100 -Wiseco, JT, EK
    '07 Baja DR90
    '05 Ski-Doo GSX 600 HO SDI Lt.

4 ply is lighter and 6 ply is heavier, I wouldnt run a 4ply unless your racing MX-too easy to puncture.
    If it's stupid, and it works, it isn't stupid. - Murphy's Law
    2000 426EX,sold
    2004 450R WIP
    -Longtime A.A.D.S. (Accessory Acquisition Disorder Syndrome) sufferer.
    400EX Frequently Asked Questions, CHECK HERE FIRST!

4 ply comes stock and works great for me. I believe proper air inflation and non bald tires lead to less punctures..kinda depends on the tread pattern too.
    2006 450ER black.HRC,Acerbis,Pro-Taper,Pro-Armour,DG,K&N,Pro-moto intake,ITP,Tusk,Skat-Trak,Maxxis,Dunlop..to many tires
    2002 cr250 FMF turbine core 2+Gnarly,Uni/Maxima,Steahly FWW,Works Connection rad braces,Cycra pro-bends,Plastic bash plate
    2000 XR50 TAG,Red Baron,TB
    400ex,400ex,500 Rubicon.
    BLOOD, SWEAT, AND GEARS

also depends a lot on the terrain. I always ran 4 ply even on my trail quad because it is easier on the bearings and brakes. They are also lighter so it helps the quad rev faster.

On the other hand, when i moved to PA, I found that the 4 ply tires do puncture much easier on really rocky terrain so i had to run the 6 ply tires.
    Houser CRF 470 stroker Hybrid

08' KFX450r- sold

06' trx450r- sold

lonestar yz 462 stroker hybrid- sold

04' z440- sold

Originally posted by CJM
    4 ply is lighter and 6 ply is heavier, I wouldnt run a 4ply unless your racing MX-too easy to puncture.
    +1 for 6ply.. I bought brand new Rzrs for the raptor and drove through a XC track/trail on our land and didn't make it a full lap without a slash in the sidewall.. Maxxis said it wasn't their problem.. I personally think it was a defect though, I've been through there 100s of times with all mx tires without issue (i suppose i'd be paying closer attention though)

The only way I would run 4-ply is with tireballs. Otherwise, 6-ply all the way. We weighed them at one point, and the difference was .2 pounds.

Thanks for all the input guys, I'm running them on a ds450 that I mostly trail ride with. I like the stock holeshots that are 10" wide and only 4 ply.
    But Trax Motosports has x-rex for 48.00 front and 62.00 rear with free shipping.
    I love how agressive the fronts look, but I wasnt sure how the extra weight would affect things.
    Looks like it's nothing to worry about.
    Thanks Fellas!!!
    2008 DS450
    Pink wire cut
    Rossier Intake
    Motorworks SlipOn
    BCS Clutch Basket
    BCS Frame Reinforcement Kit
    BCS Grunge Graphics Kit
    X Package Nerf Bars and Bumper
    09 Headlights
    Pro Armor Frame and Swingarm Skids
    Engine Ice

I run the 6 ply even with tireballs. Weight difference isn't great enough to bother.

BNR also has some great prices on GBC tires.
    -Zach Taylor #727-

Suzuki LT-R450

Special Thanks To My 2012 Sponsors:
    Motowoz
    LSR
    GetDirtyMX
    Hiper
    GoPro
    Pro Armor
    Twin Air
    Sunstar
    Torco Race Fuels