Thread: metal "flakes"

metal "flakes"

Just bought an 08' outlaw 525's. Changed the oil in it and noticed a lot of "flakes" on the screens (mostly on the bottom screen) and a lot of shavings on the drain plug. Is this fairly common? I should have taken a pic but my hands were filthy and I didn't want it all over my iphone. I didn't notice anything in either filter but like I said, a lot in the screens and plug. Should I be worried or is this normal?

i can say in my 450 i have noticed a TON of flakes every time i do an oil change as well.

One of the local shops here actually ran some 525s for 2 years and said the noticed the same thing.

What i actually think it is, is the little metal dowels inside the clutch that rubs up against the pressure plate, amongst other things.... now whether it should still be doing it 3 years later......not sure, but mine is 1 year old and most definitely still does have a ton in there everytime.
    * Spode Freestyler *

Team Spode Racing

Thank you to my sponsors: DWT, Motoworks, Lone Star Racing, Dirt Fiend Racing, Go Pro Cameras, Amsoil, Spy Optics, Motoconcepts, We All Ride Clothing, Leatt Braces, ODI Grips

2004 YFZ450