Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: My sons Mini Project

Originally posted by TRKR
    13.5" is a huge difference from 12". Maybe if a diferent mount is made on the arms, and I believe they will still be too long. Just my opinion, of course. Someone else? Please.

TORKER.
    Torker, I know what your saying. I researched today and found that the EX 300 shocks measure 13" eye to eye. The Raptors would only be a half inch longer. I am not a shock expert but you always seem to get more travel from a set of Works shocks over stock ones. If you look at the shock, the Works lower body is about the same length as the exposed shaft. I noticed many stock shocks, like the Ex's, the body of the shock is around 3/4 of the length of the shock leaving only 1/4 exposed shaft left. My theory is that is how the Works shocks get more travel. I think the newer Raptor shocks have more travel. But I'm not sure...

Anyway, I was just thinking. Today I bounced a Raptor 250 front end and it seemed faily stiff. I bounced a Raptor 125 and it seemed softer. My boys don't race, softer would be better.

Our Elkas measured like 13.25 inches. Dropped right in and those were the shocks we used with the stock arms and the ChassisInc. arms. If I remember correctly to get a 13.5 to fit the front of the bike had to be lift off the ground, the shock compressed, and then bolted on. This gave the bike a pogo effect. Of course the mounts could be moved out .25 inches to offset the longer suspension.
    If it'll run... I'm ridin'!!!

http://home.earthlink.net/~hotscott03/

Sons:
    Jhamir "JAM" Scott #320
    KX85

Sponsors:
    Firepower Minis Motors
    Pirelli
    Artistic Apparel
    Smith Optics
    Athena
    DeCal Works
    PitPosse
    AGV Helmets
    Signs A Rama (Lakeland)
    ASV Inventions
    Dirtyfoot Adventures
    O'Neal USA
    TwinAir
    OneNation Extreme
    R1R Performance
    C4 Suspension

Originally posted by Ride1Rob
    Our Elkas measured like 13.25 inches. Dropped right in and those were the shocks we used with the stock arms and the ChassisInc. arms. If I remember correctly to get a 13.5 to fit the front of the bike had to be lift off the ground, the shock compressed, and then bolted on. This gave the bike a pogo effect. Of course the mounts could be moved out .25 inches to offset the longer suspension.
    Thanks Ride1Rob, I can just find some EX300 shocks. I am not into moving mounts for just a set of stock Raptor shock. I looked at the Raptor shocks again last night and their travel appeared to be about the same as the Honda shock anyway.

Anybody have success replacing the rear shock? My stock shock has eyes at both ends and is 11" long. I found old 1978 yz80 dirt bike shock to be just over 11", but that seal has to be toast by now. I am still looking...

You could do the rear like we did ours and mod your own bracket and get rid of the sorry stcok setup. Would take some cutting and welding but would make huge difference and you'll get way more travel. I think we cut six inches off, rewelded the bracket, and dropped in a 14inch rear Elka. From the base of the brace to the bottom eye of the shock was 5inches for us. I sure do miss seeing this damn bike. She was a beauty!

Sons:
    Jhamir "JAM" Scott #320
    KX85

Sponsors:
    Firepower Minis Motors
    Pirelli
    Artistic Apparel
    Smith Optics
    Athena
    DeCal Works
    PitPosse
    AGV Helmets
    Signs A Rama (Lakeland)
    ASV Inventions
    Dirtyfoot Adventures
    O'Neal USA
    TwinAir
    OneNation Extreme
    R1R Performance
    C4 Suspension

Do you have a better picture of the swingarm mods? That quad was sweet, one of a kind...

I went back and did a search in the archives and this was all I could get. I know there's a post somewhere that I posted pics of the setup we had but can't find it. Post up a pic of your swinger and I'll photoshop what we did.

Sons:
    Jhamir "JAM" Scott #320
    KX85

Sponsors:
    Firepower Minis Motors
    Pirelli
    Artistic Apparel
    Smith Optics
    Athena
    DeCal Works
    PitPosse
    AGV Helmets
    Signs A Rama (Lakeland)
    ASV Inventions
    Dirtyfoot Adventures
    O'Neal USA
    TwinAir
    OneNation Extreme
    R1R Performance
    C4 Suspension

Originally posted by Ride1Rob
    I went back and did a search in the archives and this was all I could get. I know there's a post somewhere that I posted pics of the setup we had but can't find it. Post up a pic of your swinger and I'll photoshop what we did.
    Thanks for the offer but I'm not going that deep in the suspension. You did a great job though, I saw your videos, the quad handled great.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789