Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anodizing new wheels

Anodizing new wheels

OK, I believe this subject has been covered on this forum somewhere, but searching netted a wide variety of things, but none the answer I am looking for....

I am hung-up on the look of my '86 R with the gold wheels. However, my riding trips are starting to include a lot more rocks and deep ruts that are starting to remove my rear tires from their bead. So, bead locks are in order. But, I want the bead locks to be gold like the original wheels!

With the vast knowledge of the diverse group on this site, can anyone point me at this information or tell me the answer:

If I purchase a new set of polished bead-locks (I don't know yet- ITP's or Douglas) and I have access to be able to get them anodized, what is the proper method for this? Will the anodize "take" to the polished aliminum wheel? Does the wheel need to be scuffed first?

I know that I need to know what aluminum alloy the wheels are and if they have been heat-treated or hardened in any way, but before I purchase, I'm wanting to know if this is even possible or not.

Thanks in advance for any answers that can be offered!
    '86 TRX 250R - trail ridden to death
    '83 ATC 250R - restoration
    '75 ATC 90 - can't turn loose of it!
    LT 80 for my daughter (hand-me-down)
    '84 ATC 200S - new cabin toy

I am pretty sure Douglas/DWT sell anodized gold, or you could always get them powdercoated.
    -Jason Zittel #73-

Team 373 MX

ATV Scene.com Budget Racer II TRX450R

"I'm not sayin'...I'm just sayin'...

Thanks to my 2012 Sponsors: Smith Optics, EVS, Globe, Hinson, Tag Metals, Racer X, Outlaw Racing, Pit Posse
    Twin Air

GET SPONSORED NOW!
    MXSponsor.com
    Promo ID: x573jz

Troybilt found a gold powder i thought that replicates the look of gold anodizing. Hit him up.

look around in the 250r section those guys have the factory gold dialed in for paint and powder.
    04 400ex

I actually found a powder that was called Gold Annodized Powder, unfortunate we tried everything to make that work to know avail... We even tried coating it over chrome powder and it still turned out like crap-olla. I'd hit Pappy up and see what his thoughts were. The powders I've seen that were gold, seem to be dark of a gold, compared to OEM... I'd love to find a bright gold powder, cuz I've got a slew of parts that I'd run that color...
    496cc Saber 2 Stroke MX Project "Elsinore" (Laeger Narrow/CR500 Build - In Process)
    89 TRX 250R - Fully Restored Original

Thanks for the replys guys, but what I am after is info on how to go about annodizing a set of new wheels. I have access to the annodizing process (nephew works at a metal finish shop) I am just looking for info on the "prep" of the wheels or is it even possible to annodize a new set of wheels "off-the-shelf"?

I've seen on here that pappy is a very well known powder coater. Does he have annodizing experience as well?

Anything aluminum can be annodized. I'd ask your nephew for prep proceedures...
    496cc Saber 2 Stroke MX Project "Elsinore" (Laeger Narrow/CR500 Build - In Process)
    89 TRX 250R - Fully Restored Original

Google search:
    preparing aluminum for anodizing, yields lots of info.

Gee why did I not think of that! Google! Thanks 250Renvy!

Troybilt- the reson I'm asking is because the nephew is just the guy that sticks the parts on the racks and pushes the start button. He said that if I can provide him the needed info, he would get the wheels done for me.

I'll google search more and see what I come up with.

Have you checked out OMF?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast