Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Engine choice - why?

Question Engine choice - why?

Just curious as to why I see most of the Mods with either a CR85 or a RM85 power plant? When I talk to the dirtbike people, they tell me that NO-ONE is winning on a Honda. They tell me that the KTM and Yamaha are the strongest engines on the track. They do same the Suzuki is strong as well.
    So, tell me why these Honda's are so popular? If I had to guess, we see kids winning with the Honda engine so we follow suit......
    Wannabe Racer Dad of:
    #34 Logan Dusenberry
    2014 AMA/ATVA 450 2X National Champion
    ALL OUT RACING
    2015 CanAm JB/Mt. Dew Live Wire Amateur Race Team
    2014 Sponsors: Extreme-Tec ATV, Makson Incorporated, Corrosion Specialties, Rath Racing, Walsh Racecraft, SF Racing, Baldwin Motosports, Apex Powersports - New Philadelphia, Ohio, Action Extreme Sports - New Philadelphia, Ohio,

For me it was parts availability. Easy to come by. No other reason.
    Raptor 250
    Zachary #80Y

2006 TRX 450ER

911 Motorsports
    GoPro
    DWT
    Oneal MX
    Vertex Pistons

If you look at the Loretta Lynn results from last year the Suzuki, Yamaha and Kawasaki seem to dominate the top 10 with no honda or ktm in the mix until later. In the super mini class the honda seem to step it up and have a championship and a few top 5 postitions. These results were from last year.

Rocky, I am sure that you will purchase what is ever most economical for you. lol. As you know the 2 fastest kids this year have a suzuki, Cam Covil, and a honda, Brett Musick. If you plan on a super mini get the 150r motor.

I think part of it is that torque is a bit more important than Hp in a quad vs. a motorcycle. Also, the rider makes a huge difference. Some riders will be faster on the Yamaha than the other motors, other riders will be slower.

The Yamaha's do not have power valves and suck at low RPM torque, but scream at the higher RPM.

The Honda is getting old as they haven't made a two-stroke in a few years.

The KTM's parts are probably twice as expensive as the others.

I have switched out the Yamaha's for Suzuki's, but I would love to try a Kawi or KTM. If you want to try a Yamaha, I have two that need new homes.

Thats my take on it.
    Coultin Gist #225
    Raptor 250
    Cobra w\rm85

Sponsors:
    Hetrick Racing
    SMX Optics
    Race Tech
    Torc1 Racing
    Baxter Racing Academy

I'm not sure which would be the best, but I will say that between our two mods I like the powervalve motor better. It just has more grunt on the bottom compared to a non powervalve. I also have been very happy with the rm. Rocky, my opinion to u would be to go with a motor that has a powervalve, you'll be happier in the end.
    Bryan
    Benjamin Kirkland #99
    2012-2013 G-Force National rider
    2010 & 2011 DRR "Top Gun" National Team
    2010 AMA 50cvt South Champ
    2010 SEquads 7-9 Champ

Bunch of YZ85's

Thanks to our sponsors for the last few years!
    HotQuads, Elka Shocks, Alpinestar, G-Force Powersports, Wreckage Clothing, Faction Mx, Leatt Brace, Amsoil, Spy Optics, 488 web design

Hey Bryan, it sure would be cool to keep it all Yamaha. I'm thinking KTM....
    Wannabe Racer Dad of:
    #34 Logan Dusenberry
    ALL OUT RACING
    2014 Sponsors: Extreme-Tec ATV, Makson Incorporated, Corrosion Specialties, Rath Racing, Walsh Racecraft, SF Racing, Baldwin Motosports, Apex Powersports - New Philadelphia, Ohio, Action Extreme Sports - New Philadelphia, Ohio,

Based on the RM,is there a specific year that is preferred? What pipe seems to be best for it?

Im not sure on availability, but our Rm is really strong with the Trackside pipe. I was told that there were not anymore yet, but I didnt confirm it. I will say that it is screaming fast with that pipe on.

I dont ride his quads because im so big, but I rebuilt the rm 85 the other day and wanted to break it in myself. WOW!! I cant believe how fast it is.
    Bryan
    Benjamin Kirkland #99
    2012-2013 G-Force National rider
    2010 & 2011 DRR "Top Gun" National Team
    2010 AMA 50cvt South Champ
    2010 SEquads 7-9 Champ

Bunch of YZ85's

Thanks to our sponsors for the last few years!
    HotQuads, Elka Shocks, Alpinestar, G-Force Powersports, Wreckage Clothing, Faction Mx, Leatt Brace, Amsoil, Spy Optics, 488 web design

All I know is I watched Brett Musick pull ALMOST every holeshot in the 90 Mod and Supermini with his Baldwin tuned CR85 and CR105.... With that being said, when Alec Miller got it right he was wheel to wheel with Brett on his Tommy Alley tuned RM85.... Decisions.....Decisions....
    But, if you ask around the dirt bike community, the CR is not even a top runner. I've spoke to a friend who's track hosts a Loretta Lynn's qualifier, he says the Yamaha is king and the RM and KTM are a very close 2nd. He cannot believe we use the CR"s.
    I told him that someone ran one and won a couple races and everyone had to have that motor..... Typical mini dad's.
    Wannabe Racer Dad of:
    #34 Logan Dusenberry
    ALL OUT RACING

I am going with the rm but thats just because I picked up the whole bike for 150$ with bad rings. Was looking for a KX 85>
    You got to be tuff when your stupid !
    Tanner Reeves #443
    2011 Calhoun SX 70-90 Champion
    2011 Mideast 8-10 Jr 2nd
    Special Thanks To
    G-Force Powersports
    Leatt Brace
    Barnyard Performance
    DWT Tires and Wheels
    Spy Goggles
    Slick Off Road wash
    GoPro