Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tie down by wheels bad for suspension?

Tie down by wheels bad for suspension?

I have tied my quad down by the frame/suspension and I have tied it down by the wheels. There are advantages to both. But recently a mechanic that I trust suggested that securing the quad by the wheels was bad because the motion on the road was causing the suspension to move and flex similar to actually riding the quad. This puts hours and hours of wear on the suspension components wearing them out quicker. I trust this guy and I trust his opinion but I wanted to see if anyone else had an opinion on this.

Keep in mind I don't want this to turn into a debate over who has the best or coolest way to tie down their quad. We'll have that thread later I just want to know about the effect on my suspension before I make some mods to my trailer that could be worthless if I stop securing by the wheels.

Well... it depends on how you want to look at it... you can tie it down by the wheels... alowing the vehicle to sway and bump as it should... which is not horrible... or you can tie down the frame and put pressure on the suspension... pressure that won't be released until you unstrap it... i don't think there is a wrong way.. it all depends on how you can and how you do...
    2004 YELLOW TRX400EX
    15/39 Sprockets, 2005 Lower End, 22X11x9 GBC X-Rex,
    23X8X10 Interco Swamp Lites, 250X Clutch Cable,
    Aftermarket Swingarm Skid Plate,
    DG Headlight Guard, Moose Racing/DynoJet Jet Kit,
    Moose Racing Bars, Moose Racing Aluminum Hand Guards,
    Moose Racing Comp Handguard Protectors, UNI Air Filter,
    Moose Racing Muffler Packing, Pro Armor Tether Kill Switch,
    Sintered Brake Pads, Team Alba Pro Elite Nerf Bars,
    White Brothers R4 Slip on, White Bros Air Box Vents,

i always looked at it as your suspension was designed to handle it. when you load the suspension by tying down to something like your grab bar your forcing the suspension even further to the extreme allowing it to get closer to bottom out if the trailer was to see a hard shot from a pot hole or some other thing and then the bushings, joints and frame mounting points to take the impact. besides the fact that trailering your quad on the road is nothing compared to what it sees on a hard day riding or racin.
    04 400ex

Your shocks see more abuse in 10 minutes of riding, than they will in their lifetime of being towed on a trailer.

I put mine in the back of the truck with my bros dirtbike next to it and close the tailgate lol. I dont tie it down unless it a long trip then its just by the bumper or a-arm so it doesnt roll around, because usually its in a trailer thats like 30ft long with other quads
    2005 yfz450
    FMF pipe
    G-Force axle
    20in fronts-18in backs
    Pro Taper bars
    Pro armor nerf bars

1998 300ex(built for my sis)
    fresh engine
    11:1 wiseco piston
    full DG exhaust

The biggest thing i was told about hauling is not to leave it in gear. Its hard on the tranny...
    Houser CRF 470 stroker Hybrid

08' KFX450r- sold

06' trx450r- sold

lonestar yz 462 stroker hybrid- sold

04' z440- sold

Originally posted by mirror_racing
    The biggest thing i was told about hauling is not to leave it in gear. Its hard on the tranny...
    +1
    2008 White/Blk Honda 400ex- Stock motor... Houser silcast +2 ST arms, 450r shocks with works zps triple rate springs, Pro Armor Nerfs and bumper, PRM grab bar, Ricochet engine and swingarm skid plates, ODI grips, and Tusk handguards

Originally posted by mirror_racing
    I have heard the same and now instead of putting the quad in gear I put a small dog collar around the front brake and it works like a charm. I have never had any problems doing this and I don't think it will harm the brakes.

I agree with Scro, hauling your atv on a smooth road is not harming/abusing the suspension in any way at all.

Originally posted by 01 400EXer
    I have heard the same and now instead of putting the quad in gear I put a small dog collar around the front brake and it works like a charm. I have never had any problems doing this and I don't think it will harm the brakes.

I agree with Scro, hauling your atv on a smooth road is not harming/abusing the suspension in any way at all.
    Agreed
    Houser CRF 470 stroker Hybrid

08' KFX450r- sold

06' trx450r- sold

lonestar yz 462 stroker hybrid- sold

04' z440- sold

I tie down with the grab bar pulling the bike down. And another behind the push bar pulling the bike forward. Never moves an inch.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast