Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: The right way to bring your plastic back to life.

Black is really hard to get to look great. With a wax buffed in it should look okay from a distance but not up close. I have yellow plastics too and have been wanting to shine them but its getting cold and wet sanding in 20 degree weather isn't sounding fun.
    02 400ex, White Bros. Exhaust, K&N.

sorry to bring this back up but I gave it a shot today on my 450 plastics and ruined them.

started with 400, went to 600 then 800 then 1000 then 1500 then 3000.... 4 hours just on the rear plastics.

went to buff it and certain parts came our shiny, like all the creases and edges of the plastic but the rest look foggy and I spent a couple hours buffing it too. I have access to a body shop too so I used a high speed buffer and tried every rubbing compound they have... Its smooth but thats about it. Looks super cloudy.
    Also it burns the compound on the edges of the pad and basically ingrains it in the plastic.

What am I doing wrong? Please tell me I didnt trash my plastics. Wish I woulda just left em alone
    08 ktm250sxf

Use a wool pad turn the rpms down to 1400-1600. Use water only in a spray bottle and keep it damp. Do not press hard on it.

John
    440ex PPE Stg II headwork, Kibblewhite springs, Crf timing chain, stgIII H cam, Wiseco 11-1, GTT studs, Cometic gaskets, 450 carb, Sparks cdi, Oversize oil tank, LSR +1 stem, LSR +2 arms, , dura-blue X-33 axle, Dura-blue hub/fade/carrier, TAG, Hinson clutch/basket, HMF full pipe, ITP, ASM, IMS, DID X ring, UNI, UM, MAIER, Pro Armor skids, Stainless bolts, brake lines, 450r shocks, Sidwinder, Tusk, Wave.. A lil sprocket work,

Originally posted by Budweiserebel07
    Here is my final pic of the bike after i took the buffer and wax to it and washed it. I'm actually surprised it came out this shiny. Oh and my angry eyes are on too,lol. Enjoy.
    very nice man im going to have to try this once i feel like cleaning mine....

bump because im gonna do this and dont want to forget
    XC 08 450r

Just picked up an 08 with the plastics in need of a shine.

Worked thru 220,400, 600, 1000, and 2000 wetsand on the tank cover. Will say its smooth, and white for red plastic.

Next is the buffing.
    06 Rincon
    08 416EX
    00 TRx 90
    Plastic fenders, steel frame, rubber tires, rider with the main jet a bit loose.

Originally posted by Resq
    Just picked up an 08 with the plastics in need of a shine.

Worked thru 220,400, 600, 1000, and 2000 wetsand on the tank cover. Will say its smooth, and white for red plastic.

Next is the buffing.
    please post a pic when done.. i have reds and they are shiny yet but i have scratches and might do this..
    04' 400; PRM Desert II Bumper; PRM Baja Grab Bar; PRM Skid Plate; PRM Air Scoops Shrouds; Moose Competition Bars; HMF Ballance Pro Slip-On Exhaust- Aluminum; Dynatek FS Digital Ignition; DG Alloy Series Nerf Bars; PowerMadd Star Series Handguards; K&N Air Filter; TRX Shock Covers

Im going to replace the plastics over the winter (jan or feb). Tried the mothers foam ball and buffing compound for a half an hour on one small area, never did shine. My drill is only 1200 rpm. Since ive put time in sanding i may just end up with a clear plastic spray paint and buff it up for now.
    06 Rincon
    08 416EX
    00 TRx 90
    Plastic fenders, steel frame, rubber tires, rider with the main jet a bit loose.

Painted with clear plastic rattlecan paint.
    I'll start another thread on how it hold up.
    06 Rincon
    08 416EX
    00 TRx 90

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567