Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adjusing Toe

Adjusing Toe

Im just now getting around to replacing my tie rod's and end's. I bought the 12mm ASR ones IIRC but the are the male ends vs stock. Any who, My question is, I will most likely be doing this alone and what is a good run of the mill toe-in from rotor to rotor on a stand?

I just plan on taking off one side and using it as a starting point and when both are done set it at 1/32-1/8" in per side. I tried the search and sticky but wondering what to set without me being on to 'dial' in. Plus do the old TRE's fall out with a hit of a hammer, Puller or ??. Thanks for any help

The tie rod ends should come out easily, no need for anything special like the threaded sleeve I use for removing ball joints.

- do not set the toe with the quad on a stand, needs to be on the ground
    - do not measure rotor-to-rotor, measure at the midpoint of the tire to the rear and to the front
    - place two tie-downs running from each hand grip crossing to the opposite side of the quad wherever you can attach it near the rear, the grab bar will work. With the handlebars completely straight tighten the tie downs to hold the bars straight throughout the toe adjustment
    - measure from a point on the frame to the front of the tire on one side and another point across from the rear of the tire on the same side and turn the tie rods to get the wheels pointed straight before adjusting the toe
    - after each tire is pointing straight turn each tie rod the same amount and measure from the midpoint of the tires in the front and rear to get 1/8" to 1/4" of toe in.

^^This is my own method and I don't know if it is exactly by the book but I used it this year after installing new a-arms and did it completely by myself and am very happy with my toe setting and he handling of my quad.
    Current quads:
    - Honda TRX 400EX - fully built 416cc motor and full XC racing setup for fast trail riding and hill climbing
    - Kawasaki Prairie 650 - work quad for around our property and main quad for the wife to ride
    - Suzuki LT80 - kids quad
    - Honda TRX 350RX - my old school hybrid MX quad from the 90's that has a 250R chassis with a built 350X motor and has now been converted into a XC setup

Previously owned several other sport quads and a few trikes over the years.

Another method is taking a long pice of metal or board put it againstyour back tire and against your front tire and an measure how far your toe in is you wheel understand it once you try it but all I did to adjust mine was every time before I rode I just kind eyeballed the front tires and kept messing with the camber adjustment and tie rods till they were pretty straight
    2002 400ex
    Fmf powerbomb header with White bros r4 slip on-Houser +2 steering stem w/ flex bars-Uni filter w/ pre filter and air box lid pre filter-Houser xc nerfbars
    Rear razr xc
    Front razr 2's
    Yfz front calipers-Front elka long travel stage 2 / laeger +1 long travel a arms-Lone star 1 1/4 swinger with gtthunder xc linkage and rear shock done by gtthunder 426 11:1 comp oversized oil tank ims oversized gas tank laker plastics

To each his own, but using a board or eye-balling the toe setting is not the right way to do it.
    Current quads:
    - Honda TRX 400EX - fully built 416cc motor and full XC racing setup for fast trail riding and hill climbing
    - Kawasaki Prairie 650 - work quad for around our property and main quad for the wife to ride
    - Honda TRX 350RX - my old school hybrid MX quad from the 90's that has a 250R chassis with a built 350X motor and has now been converted into a XC setup

using a board or a string is a perfectly good way of setting toe.

i personally tie a string to jackstands and run it straight from the rear tire to the front of the quad. It makes things easier imo.

here's a good article on setting toe, this guy uses a level as well as a board.
    http://www.atvrideronline.com/tech/0.../photo_06.html

Thanks for the great mini write up. Sounds like its not to hard at all. I don't think I can go off the rear as I might have tweaked it last weekend and could throw it way off. Ill start slow and measure from solid frame and a tire mark. Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by 2001400exrida View Post
    using a board or a string is a perfectly good way of setting toe.

i personally tie a string to jackstands and run it straight from the rear tire to the front of the quad. It makes things easier imo.

here's a good article on setting toe, this guy uses a level as well as a board.
    http://www.atvrideronline.com/tech/0.../photo_06.html
    How many completely straight boards do people have laying around? Using a string sounds reasonable but not a board. I laid my aluminum ramp along the rear tire this spring to see if it could at least get me in the ball park and found it is not a good way to do it.
    Current quads:

Just to be safe and i know its dumb, but what do you run per side and total? I saw you said 1/8-1/4", I take is per side? 1/2" toe in would be a bit odd lol.

I just dont want to FUBAR it from lack of directions on my part lol.

1/8 inches in both tie rod ends, equates to 1/4 inches in which is spec. The front tires should be toed in about 1/4 of an inch in other words.

Blodg method is what I basically do.
    If it's stupid, and it works, it isn't stupid. - Murphy's Law
    2000 426EX,sold
    2004 450R WIP
    -Longtime A.A.D.S. (Accessory Acquisition Disorder Syndrome) sufferer.
    400EX Frequently Asked Questions, CHECK HERE FIRST!

Cool, Thanks for the confirmation. Sounds like I can do this like I do my jeep. Spin tire and spray a line on primer, Then get something stable spin again and make a straight solid hard line to measure from. Then from there, Follow as stated above.

Thanks again for all the info, It will save a lot of time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast