Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 400ex key problems

Hybrid View

400ex key problems

hello all, im new to the forums and had a question hoping someones knowledge could help me out a bit. i bought a 2001 400ex about a month ago and noticed when i got it that you could put the key in and turn it on and crank the quad and pull the key out of the ignition with it still in the on position and quad still running. that wasnt much of a problem at first, but now over the last week and a half sometimes when the quad is running and i turn the key off it will stay running. sometimes it will turn right off. and ive also noticed that after riding around for a while sometimes when i shift to neutral the light will not come on. has anyone experienced a problem like this before or know where to start on fixing this?

ill have to think about the key issue a bit. it could be corrosion in the switch housing, short, or a bad wire somewhere up in the dash. check for loose ones coming out of it first.

right by the shifter there is a plug that is for the neutral light, id check that first and make sure it is connected tight and that the wire is not loose in the boot. that is probably the case with it and is the easiest to check.

steve
    2019 Maverick X3 XDS Turbo R
    2003 TRX 400EX
    2016 HONDA RANCHER

alright i will have to check that tomorrow for the neutral light and see if that helps any. the key issue is kinda weird to me too and i didnt really know what could be causing it.. oh yeah i checked the wires to the ignition and everything seemed to be fine up there

http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmot.../m2661sch91119

it is down by number 6 if it helps you out any. it is the only wire that runs down there.

steve
    2003 TRX 400EX
    2016 HONDA RANCHER

also welcome to the site!

steve
    2003 TRX 400EX
    2016 HONDA RANCHER

alright i know exactly what your talking about now, i will def check that out and see, i really prec ur help on that. thanks for the welcome

not a problem! report back your findings on the neutral switch. lol usually when mine quits working, that plug just comes unplugged a bit. sometimes your shoes hit it and unplug it.

steve
    2003 TRX 400EX
    2016 HONDA RANCHER

Also check and make sure your wires aren't crossed under the headlights. I know when I took my front plastics off I connected the green wires backwards when I put them back on. One is the neutral light and the other is the key kill...
    03 Yellow 426ex
    Wiseco 11:1 88mm/ Stage 2 HotCam/ 450R carb/ CRF 450 timing chain/ +6 Sparks Key/ AMR coil/ Uni/ HMF slip on/ Mild head work
    Burgard +2 a-arms/ +2 G-Force hubs/ 450R shocks
    Maxxis/ DWT / Pro Taper/ MSR/ UM/ Powermadd/ Hammer force/ AC line/ PRM/ IMS/ Nac's/ Motion Pro/ Cometic

yeah im pretty sure nothing is crossed up cause i was checking earlier today to make sure everything under there was making a good connection hoping maybe that was what was causing my ignition problems, but i will def double check tho cause it never hurts to look

any updates?

steve
    2003 TRX 400EX
    2016 HONDA RANCHER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast