Thread: A-arm question

A-arm question

I recently got some new bushings for my lonestar A-arms and today I put the bushing in and the new tubes amd greased it all before doing this.

So i got it all together and they are really hard to move, is this normal? They take probably 10-15 pounds to move. The thing that worries me the most thought is the front one is working fine (the bolt and tube are stationary and the bushing/a-arm move around the tube) but the back one the tube, bushing, and a-arm all turn around the bolt...

I'm hoping they will just break in or something just kinda worried me

also how far should i put my balljoints in? I'm assuming it's dangerous to leave it out a few turns to get some width just wasn't sure.

Losen your bolts a lil bit.?
    400ex hybrid Finished!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMDIAw8UskQ

well they are torqued to 29 and if i loosen them too much the bolt doesnt clamp to the tube and the whole bushing assembly inclusing the tube turns around the bolt

I doubt its gonna be an issue, remember you weigh quite a bit more than the force needed to pus them down. They will also wear in overtime.
    If it's stupid, and it works, it isn't stupid. - Murphy's Law
    2000 426EX,sold
    2004 450R WIP
    -Longtime A.A.D.S. (Accessory Acquisition Disorder Syndrome) sufferer.
    400EX Frequently Asked Questions, CHECK HERE FIRST!

ok, thanks just curious, and what about the balljoints? how far in should they be? as far in as possible but to where i can still set my camber or can they be out like 1/2 inch?

My JD Performance bottom arms balljoint are set all the way in. The tops are adjustable, with the right camber the top balljoints stick out with about 1/4" of thread showing on the outside....its about the same for my roll design arms, the bottom is already set, an you adjust the top....heres a kicker, after setting my camber I usually run the tow in end about 1/4 to 3/8 inward, seems thats the info I got from all the magazines, this was on the roll design set up. I put the stock a arms back on the other 400EX.....hmmmm....I checked the tow end on that, Tow was out about 1/2" or so....that can't be right.....you need tow in, not tow out....so why is the stock so far out?...an why do so many articles I read in the past show an tell tow needs to be in??? I set my roll design tow in out a good 1/2" just to see.....it now tracks better than ever, I usually travel a short distance on the road to some trails an the steering isn't twichey, tracks straight an smooth....maybe I've been readin wrong?
    1984 Honda 200M ATC
    1985 Honda 200X ATC
    1986 Honda 200X ATC
    1999 Honda 406EX....11:1, Web Cam / Hardened rockers. Ported. WB CDI. CT Racing header. WB E-Series slip on. Lonestar swinger.
    2001 Honda/KTM 520 Hybrid Quad. Its like a 400EX but twice the horsepower.
    2014 Artic Cat Wildcat Trail XT

I always set my stock setup to 1/8 each side, about 1/4 total. Ill have to try a 1/2 inch just to see one of these days
    2000 426EX,sold
    2004 450R WIP

Originally posted by CJM
    I always set my stock setup to 1/8 each side, about 1/4 total. Ill have to try a 1/2 inch just to see one of these days
    is that in or out?

i found some stuff on lonestars site I'm going to try reading through. And unfortunately I already put my upper a-arms on with the heim joints the same distance in so I'll have to see how far off my caster is i guess.. they were soooooo hard to get in too.

and I'll try that with the lower ball joint all the way in and adjust camber with the top one.. sounds the safest

Thats in, at the front, 1/4 inches total. My frontend is indeed twitchy to a degree.

But where I ride isnt exactly very flat, the terrains very rough, so that could be it too..
    2000 426EX,sold
    2004 450R WIP